THIS IS A PART TIME CONTRACT
The Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA) is seeking a part time Ops Engineer / System Administrator. OCHA currently maintains multiple web-based platforms that are used in humanitarian response. Although some of our brands have been used for over a decade, ongoing investment has kept our technology modern and relevant.The successful candidate will work with our web-based development teams to maintain and grow the reliable infrastructure that is used by hundreds of thousands of humanitarian responders, supporting staff, and volunteers during sudden onset and complex emergencies. The successful candidate will need to be based in the Americas’ time zones and provide support for four hours between 17:00 GMT and 22:00 GMT
The UN OCHA team operates as a collaboration between developers and operations (“DevOps”). You will work collaboratively with developers to ensure an excellent developer experience; site manager experience; and site visitor experience.
- Lead the process of planning, creating, and documenting scalable, secure, and highly available infrastructure for internal development teams.
- Create documentation, diagrams, and training documents which outline best practices and standard operating procedures (“runbooks”) to empower developers to leverage existing infrastructure.
- Collaborate with developers to create automated and repeatable deployment systems including appropriate development, staging and production environments.
- Collaborate with developers to design appropriate requirements for systems, network, and application architecture
- Collaborate with teams to create disaster recovery plans including the development of incident response plans; if necessary, work with teams to implement plans in emergency situations
- Establish and maintain strong relationships with the engineering team and project managers
- Be actively contactable through assigned working times and reachable, at a general knowledgeable level, in the case of a major emergency. Expectations are that you will rely on another part-term system administrator as well the OCHA developers to ensure basic 24 hour coverage.
- A Bachelor’s degree in computer science, information systems, information technology or other related fields is required. A Master’s degree in related field can substitute two (2) years of the required relevant experience.
- A relevant Technical certificate with additional two (2) years or Secondary education with additional four (4) years of relevant experience may be accepted in lieu of a bachelor’s degree.
- At least 7 years of relevant experience is required (5 years is required with a relevant Master’s degree, 9 years with a relevant Technical certificate or 11 years with secondary education)
- Production experience with a multi-server, load balanced environment. Preference given to candidates with this experience in a Cloud infrastructure (AWS, Google Cloud, Azure, or equivalent).
- Production experience with a configuration management tool deployed in a multi-server, load-balanced environment. Preference given to Ansible; experience with Chef, Puppet, or equivalent will also be considered.
- Production experience supporting or building web applications in at least one of: PHP, Python, Node.js.
- Production experience with database optimisations for performance and availability. Preference given to MySQL / MariaDB; experience with Postgres, or equivalent will also be considered.
- Ability to clearly communicate technical information and with consideration and compassion for the technical abilities of the people they are communicating with
- Experience as a Linux systems administrator
- Experience in a collaborative (“DevOps”) environment. Developers will share your responsibility of ensuring app stability on a stable infrastructure.
- Production experience with build automation tools such as Jenkins or Bamboo
- Experience with Git, GitHub, GitLab, and/or Bitbucket
- Experience with shell scripting
- Production experience with system administration for large scale Drupal deployments.
- Experience with the components of a LAMP (Linux, Apache, MySQL, PHP) or LEMP (Linux, NGINX, MySQL, PHP) stack.
- RHCE certification or experience with general administration of Debian-based Linux distributions.
- Experience with configuring logging and monitoring tools; and taking action based on the reported alerts (ELK stack, Nagios, and equivalent tools)
- Experience building, installing, and maintaining Linux-based packages for software deployment (RPM or .deb)
- Experience with data migration projects.
- Experience with multi-server hosting environments (N-Tier, sharding, scaling, failover)
- Experience with caching & high availability configuration techniques
- Experience building and deploying Docker containers, and Docker-housed applications
- Ability to accurately explain and document software development and release processes
Working-level English; with excellent written communication skills (this is a remote position, so most communications will be in writing via text-based chat; or email)
Contract type, level and duration
Contract type: ICAContract level: IICA-2/ICSC-10Contract duration: 3 months with possible extension
For more details about the ICA contractual modality, please follow this link:https://www.unops.org/english/Opportunities/job-opportunities/what-we-offer/Pages/Individual-Contractor-Agreements.aspx
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Work life harmonization - UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands. We have a progressive policy on work-life harmonization and offer several flexible working options. This policy applies to UNOPS personnel on all contract types
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns. Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.
Apply for this Position