What is G2i?
G2i is a hiring platform for engineers ran by engineers. We match technically vetted engineers to pre-vetted clients who place a high value on engineering and focus on running healthy projects. We take care of contracts, billing, payments and all of the other work that goes into freelancing so that engineers can focus on code and clients on building their product. Our vision is for the hiring process to be simple, trustworthy and enjoyable for both companies and engineers.
When we vet clients we make sure they:
- Prioritize communication
- Plan appropriately and have realistic timelines
- Understand the cost of healthy development and have a budget to pay for it
When we vet engineers we make sure:
- Engineers vet other engineers
- Our code challenges are to the point and based on production-level code, no whiteboarding
- Our process is objective, repeatable and quantitively scored
- Our process is transparent
G2i is short for "Good News to the Internet." We are convinced that our primary vision & mission are good news to companies that need to hire engineers. While we are going about fulfilling that primary vision & mission, we will also be good news to those in need. We are on a mission to help hundreds of street kids in Nairobi, Kenya obtain an education, a safe home, parental care, and the love they need. We are also committed to supporting the open source community by finding ways to financially support those who build the OSS we rely on.
Who we want to hire (Qualifications)
In simple terms we want to hire an engineer that is excited about building applications in React Native, is comfortable working in dynamic engineering environments and has strong communication and documentation skills. Here is what this actually means to us:
- You have 3+ years of professional development experience and have at least 1 year of React Native and/or React production experience.
- You have React Native code samples you can share OR are willing to complete a 6-8 hour code challenge.
- You live in North America, South America or Europe.
- You are fluent in both verbal and written English and are comfortable communicating directly with technical and non-technical clients.
- You are available 30-40 hours per week.
- You have full-stack experience with either Rails or Node.js. Apollo Client/GraphQL experience a huge plus.
- You have experience in native Android (Java, Kotlin) or iOS (Objective C, Swift). Although to be honest, this is just a nice to have.
- You have prior experience as a freelancer or are someone that enjoys having the freedom to choose the types of projects that best align with your interests.
- You will have a sense of urgency to your work meaning that the completion of a task is important to you.
- You are flexible and can adjust to the working styles of different teams. Some teams may want to pair-program and have daily interaction others may want engineers to work independently and only interact a few hours per week.
Who you will work with
We only work with companies that value engineers and run healthy engineering teams. We regularly partner with Y Combinator
funded product companies that place a high value on engineering. Some of the companies we have worked with are: Lattice, Major League Soccer, ZeeMee, Software Engineering Daily, Truebill.
You will also work with the following members of the G2i internal team:
Rhona Pierce is one of the members of our Hiring Team and the person that wrote this job description. She focuses on engineer hiring, onboarding, and matching engineers to client projects. She is a former database developer turned project/product manager who is passionate about building diverse, high performing teams for G2i's clients.
Chris Severns is the Hiring Team Lead. He focuses on engineer hiring, the technical vetting process and client fulfillment. He is an engineer that started working in Rails and picked up React, React Native, Node and GraphQL while working at G2i. He is relentlessly focused on providing quality engineers to G2i's clients and will do whatever it takes to fulfill that mission. He likes to contribute to G2i's internal tools when he has the time to get into the code.
Stephen Mitchell works in Growth. Stephen's background is in sales and marketing, but he's the type of person who will accomplish anything you throw at him. He works on our inbound/outbound sales strategies and is relentless about finding product market fit. He's also experienced in the G2i engineer hiring process and can do full cycle sales with our clients.
The rest of the pitch
- We work in React, Node & GraphQL and are looking forward to ReasonML. We like to stay on the bleeding edge when possible.
- We are a remote first organization and support the remote ecosystem.
- We take care of contracts, billing, payments and all of the other work that goes into freelancing so that you can focus on code. After we have agreed on an hourly rate we will pay you this rate every 2 weeks, as simple as that.
We work hard and make our best effort to have a steady flow of work for our engineers, but as is normal with contract freelancing, there can be short periods between projects where an engineer will not have a project and will not have income. If you are uncomfortable with this then we are probably not for you.
G2i is an equal opportunity employer. We’re dedicated to building a team where diversity in both ideas and identities is not only welcomed, but encouraged. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, marital status, citizenship, national origin, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
If you are a minority that is considering applying, but you have any reservations about doing so, please email me (email@example.com
) and let me know how we can be more welcoming to you.