At GitLab, UX Researchers collaborate with our UX designers, front/backend engineers, product managers and the rest of the community to assist in determining what features should be built, how they should behave, and what the priorities should be. User Experience Researchers report to the UX Manager, Research.
All UX Researchers are responsible for:
- The upkeep and promotion of GitLab First Look.
- The development and upkeep of the UX Research sections of the handbook and the GitLab Design System.
- Writing blog posts and responding to comments about GitLab’s user experience.
A Senior UX Researcher is an experienced practitioner who is able to lead on more complex research studies. They mentor other UX Researchers.
- Understands and has experience of a wide range of research methods. Knows when to use those methods and how to apply them correctly. This may include, but not be limited to: usability testing, user interviews, card sorts, tree tests, surveys, competitor analysis and diary studies.
- Conducts user research for features with challenging requirements and complex user journeys.
- Advises UX Researchers on choice and use of research methods to assure best practice.
- Understands and can help UX Researchers apply a range of methods to analyze research data and synthesize findings.
- Supports the UX Research Manager with UX Research Group Conversations.
- Improves the team’s workflow by contributing to processes and identifying new tools for the team to use.
- Interviews potential UX Research candidates.
This position will work on Ops features.
You know you are doing a good job as a UX Researcher when:
- You collaborate effectively with UX Designers and Product Managers.
- You can quickly build rapport with GitLab's users.
- You complete all research you have committed to within a milestone.
- You contribute ideas for feature improvements based on your research findings.
- Significant professional experience with user research.
- Experience integrating user research into product designs.
- Excellent planning and organisational skills with the ability to manage multiple competing priorities.
- Share our values, and work in accordance with those values.
Nice To Have
- Experience of taking a lead user researcher role within a team and mentoring junior research colleagues.
- Experience working for a tech startup.
- Experience working with a remote team.
- Enterprise software experience.
- Developer platform/tool industry experience.
- Degree in psychology, human factors, human-computer interaction or related field.
- Passionate about/experience with open source tools.
When submitting your application, please include a covering letter detailing why you think you are suitable for this position.
- Selected candidates will be invited to schedule a 30 minute screening call with our Global Recruiters.
- Candidates will be invited to meet with the UX Manager, Research for 60 minutes. During this interview candidates must be prepared to share examples of 2 projects they’ve delivered, including their end-to-end methodology.
- Candidates will be invited to meet with a UX Designer.
- Candidates will be invited to meet with the UX Director.
- Finally, candidates may be asked to schedule a 50 minute interview with our CEO.
- Successful candidates will subsequently be made an offer via email.
- Please view the compensation range for this role at the bottom of the position description.
Apply for this Position