As the Director of Analytics you will lead and develop advanced analytic capabilities to provide deep business insights and accelerate Toptal’s data-driven decision making.
This is a remote position that can be done from anywhere.
In this role, you will own the development and ongoing leadership of an exceptional analytics function supporting the entire Toptal business. Initial responsibilities will include establishing a proactive and data-driven team that is aligned with the strategic business needs of key stakeholders. You will provide strong leadership and direction of a team tasked with development and execution of a comprehensive analytics strategy, while providing timely and robust insights for decision-making that drives critical business decisions supporting Toptal’s aggressive growth plans. You will be tasked with ensuring that the technical requirements to support the analytics function aligns with our overall technical vision and roadmap.
You will work in an entirely distributed company and help define an entirely new space while learning about how an organization is built from the ground up.
In the first week you will:
- Onboard and integrate into Toptal.
- Rapidly begin learning about Toptal’s history, culture, and vision.
- Shadow key teams across the company to learn the core of Toptal’s operations and capabilities.
In the first month you will:
- Complete a current state assessment.
- Define processes that govern the intake and prioritization of business requests, estimating, and ensure accurate and timely completion of work in progress.
- Catalog and communicate what is available to the business in current state.
- Stabilize ETL flows.
- Validate that the data store is well architected and makes sense from a business use perspective, and make recommendations for improvement.
- Evaluate current ad-hoc reporting capabilities and recommend future state to ensure agile response.
In the first three months you will:
- Partner with stakeholders to define the purpose and long term vision of the role that the Analytics Team serves in Toptal.
- Recommend, gain agreement, and restructure the Analytics Teams to ensure efficient execution.
- Clearly define what blend of data vision and exploration versus serving the functional needs is appropriate.
- Provide leadership and direction to the Analytics Team to overhaul existing technologies with a goal to have a scalable, robust ETL layer and a near-real time data store that supports both the business and KPI reporting.
- Dig into the data to validate designs, performance, data granularity, data recency, and more. You will not just make high-level recommendations.
In the first six months you will:
- Develop advanced analytic capabilities by providing a vision for how data science and machine learning capabilities can propel our business forward.
- Rapidly gain an understanding of the business requirements and design roadmaps that respond to Toptal’s short and long-term strategic direction.
- Provide role clarity to the existing team and determine and close gaps which will drive future hiring decisions.
- Hire and retain the best team that can propel the Analytics vision forward.
In the first year you will:
- Grow the Analytics Team to support the aggressive growth trajectory that Toptal has planned.
Apply for this Position
- Proven capability in building and managing an analytics organization supporting multiple teams.
- Self-starter who is able to be hands on and can analyze, interpret and derive insights into business reports, analytic models, and data sources.
- Ability to learn business processes at a near native level to understand the role that analytics plays in supporting the business.
- Ability to interpret business requirements into data structures, lineage(business purpose), and metadata required.
- Working knowledge of master data management.
- Demonstrated experience with modern data technologies including, columnar data structures, unstructured data, NoSql, machine learning, and cognitive.
- Knowledge of foundational BI concepts such as 3NF, denormalization, OLAP, and slowly changing dimensions.
- Exposure to python, pandas, and familiarity with open source BI tools.
- Experience working with Agile Project Management methodologies.
- Experience coaching and growing individuals in analytics, data affluency, and reporting.
- Ability to negotiate competing priorities in the business.
- Exceptional communication skills.
- Ability to build relationships at an executive level.
- You must be a world-class individual contributor to thrive at Toptal. You will not be here just to tell other people what to do.