Fastly helps the world’s most popular digital businesses keep pace with their customer expectations by delivering fast, secure, and scalable online experiences. Businesses trust Fastly to accelerate the pace of technical innovation, mitigate evolving threats, and scale on demand. Founded in 2011, Fastly powers online destinations including Airbnb, GitHub, Alaska Airlines, Pinterest, Vimeo, The Guardian, and The New York Times.
The worldwide cloud services market is projected to grow rapidly to $236 billion in 2020, according to Forrester, Inc. As more and more businesses move operations to the cloud, Fastly is well positioned to continue increasing CDN, cloud networking and cloud security market share with edge cloud services that reach beyond content delivery.
We’re building a better Internet. Come join us.
Senior Site Reliability Engineer - Edge Cloud
We are looking for talented Site Reliability Engineers to join our Edge Cloud Fleet Engineering team to help build the next generation CDN cache operations platform, help developers get their service updates deployed via automation as well as drive the reliability, performance, efficiency, and security of Fastly’s cache fleet Infrastructure. You will work with engineers across teams to enable safe and sustainable change of Fastly’s CDN.
What You'll Do
- Design, build and maintain services to enable developers to safely self-service their deployments into production
- Support developers efforts to enable packaging, CI and monitoring capabilities for their services
- Maintain pre-production environments to enable installation trials and smoke tests
- Partner with our network and data center teams to plan the growth and operations of caches
- Assist operational troubleshooting of cache services, configuration management, operating systems and networking
- Participate in software and system performance analysis and tuning, service capacity planning and demand forecasting
- Build and maintain fleet operations tools for monitoring, notifications, trending, and analysis
- Diagnose and resolve performance and reliability issues across the entire stack: application, operating system, network, kernel, firmware, hardware, including cross-application dependencies
What We're Looking For
- Minimum 5+ years of experience as an infrastructure engineer supporting mission critical infrastructure services at a large organization
- High value for distributed teams. Our SRE team is one of the most distributed in the company, so working collaboratively with folks who aren't in the same room as you or even in distant timezone is a must.
- Experience across the SDLC: GitHub pull requests, code reviews, Jenkins pipelines and monitoring services with tools such as Prometheus, Graphite and Grafana
- Knowledge of networking, security, automation and change orchestration
- Experience participating in on-call rotations, optimizing alerting signal:noise ratios and participating in retrospectives
- Expertise with at-scale development and use with infrastructure-as-code frameworks such as Chef, Puppet, Ansible and Terraform
- Significant experience with Linux bootstrap automation, PXE, IPMI, DHCP, package management, systemd and applying security updates
- Expert understanding of TCP/IP, proxies, HTTP, DNS, TLS, NTP, SSH and NTP
- Experience with multiple general purpose programming languages such as Bash, Ruby and Go
We have a huge impact. Fastly is a small company with a big reach. Not only do our customers have a tremendous user base, but we also support a growing number of open source projects and initiatives. Outside of code, employees are encouraged to share causes close to their heart with others so we can help lend a supportive hand.
We love distributed teams. Fastly’s home-base is in San Francisco, but we have multiple offices and employees sprinkled around the globe. In fact, 50% of our employees work outside of SF! An international remote culture is in our DNA.
We care about you. Fastly works hard to create a positive environment for our employees, and we think your life outside of work is important too. We support our teams with great benefits, like generous parental leave, options for free medical/dental/vision plans, and an open vacation program that enables our folks to take the time they need to recharge (some benefits may vary by location).
We value diversity. Growing and maintaining our inclusive and diverse team matters to us. We are committed to a being a company where our employees feel comfortable bringing their authentic selves to work and have the ability to be successful -- every day.
We are passionate. Fastly is chock full of passionate people and we’re not ‘one size fits all’. Fastly employs authors, pilots, skiers, parents (of humans and animals), makeup geeks, coffee connoisseurs, and more. We love employees for who they are and what they are passionate about.
Fastly provides equal employment opportunity without regard to an applicant’s race, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information, national origin, age, physical or mental disability, medical condition, religion, marital status or veteran status.
Applicants with disabilities may be entitled to reasonable accommodation under the terms of the Americans with Disabilities Act and certain state or local laws. A reasonable accommodation is a change in the way things are normally done which will ensure an equal employment opportunity without imposing undue hardship on Fastly. Please inform us if you need assistance completing any forms or to otherwise participate in the application process.