Mozilla's developer relations team is looking for a manager and technical lead for our web development team. In this role, you will define and deliver the technology platform for our websites, including MDN Web Docs, a best-in-class technical reference for web developers. With 12 million global users per month and over 1,000 volunteer contributors, MDN is key to how Mozilla helps web developers build for the web, and central to the work we do.
You are experienced in leading, coaching and mentoring happy, productive development teams. You care about career development. You will stand up for your team and do what is needed to ensure they are successful. You will also be in charge of growing the team - including onboarding new team members, volunteers, contractors, and agencies.
You are a collaborative technical leader with experience managing web developers in a distributed, agile environment. You enjoy participating in and leading planning and design discussions, and believe in building practices that scale. You should be familiar with frontend and backend technologies and love devising technical solutions to business problems as well as guiding the implementation of these solutions. You will work with product, design and content teams to define and prioritize the development work that enables us to deliver against company-wide goals.
We have already started on some key initiatives to modernize the technology stack and reduce technical debt. These efforts have to be balanced against ongoing growth, engagement and retention work to support product & business needs, and we need a leader to help us succeed in doing so. Working together, we will build web sites that promote web standards and help developers do their work.
- Be a great manager that people love to work for and with. Mentor and manage a team of 4-8 developers distributed around the world. Coach your team, advise on their career development, conduct regular 1:1s and give ongoing performance evaluations and feedback.
- Ensure that the important work gets done and the team’s workloads are reasonable. Define goals and timelines, unblock obstacles, address questions and challenges that arise so your team can focus. Ensure all team members have what they need to succeed, including a proper work/life balance.
- Prioritize and allocate project work to your team as part of an agile/scrum process. Represent the team in planning and product meetings.
- Onboard new developers, including contractors and volunteers. Be a positive influence on the team, fostering Mozilla’s cultural values.
- Deliver great websites. Ensure that your team delivers solutions that delight users, meets business requirements and are of high quality, measurable, secure, and maintainable.
- Collaborate with the product team to design solutions to key business and technical problems. Develop and deliver technical design docs, plans and roadmaps.
- Think about the platform for the future, and serve as a guide on the way forward. Establish shared technology vision for our developer-facing websites by making technology/platform recommendations, building consensus and aligning internal and external expectations.
- Oversee the coding process to produce clean, efficient code with an eye toward maintainability, flexibility and high performance, balancing quality with delivery.
- Help us solve technical debt and improve performance.
- You have managed / led developer teams; experience on remote/distributed teams would be useful but is not required.
- You have professional web development experience in user-facing websites and are well-versed in core technologies and languages.
- Experience working with contractors or agencies, including specifying work, setting milestones, and evaluating deliverables.
- You have made prioritization and allocation decisions in an agile/scrum environment and are willing to lead sprint work, including the administrative aspects.
- You have had responsibility for defining current and future technical needs and have made well-crafted plans to realize them, including exploring and defining architecture and implementation.
- You have led projects through all phases of software development and have worked on mitigating and lessening technical debt.
- You mediate disputes, find common ground, promote understanding of all viewpoints, and facilitate closure and cooperation.
- You have collaborated with designers, product managers, and other engineering leaders.
- Open to some travel as needed, including twice-yearly all hands meetings.
Mozilla exists to build the Internet as a public resource accessible to all because we believe that open and free is better than closed and controlled. When you work at Mozilla, you give yourself a chance to make a difference in the lives of Web users everywhere. And you give us a chance to make a difference in your life every single day. Join us to work on the Web as the platform and help create more opportunity and innovation for everyone online.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Apply for this Position