This position is remote based.
At GitLab Quality is every Engineer's responsibility and the output of the Quality department is instrumental to GitLab’s success.
Engineering Managers in the Quality department are motivated and experienced leaders who grow our test automation efforts across the entire GitLab ecosystem. They demonstrate a passion for high quality software, strong Engineering principles and methodical problem solving skills.
They own the delivery of test automation tools and strategy and are always looking to improve Engineering productivity. They also coordinate across departments and teams to accomplish collaborative goals.
Quality Engineering at GitLab spans both Test Automation (SDETs) and Engineering Productivity. Engineering Productivity is a new branch in career evolution of Quality Engineering.
- Help define the team's road map and author project plans to deliver against that roadmap.
- Draft team's quarterly OKR and manage the team's priorities.
- Drive improvements to test framework architecture and test coverage.
- Work across engineering to inject testing earlier into the software development process.
- Drive adoption of best practices in code health, testing, testability and maintainability (clean code, test pyramid).
- Track test gaps, quality, and productivity metrics. Work with other engineering teams to improve gaps from this data.
- Recommend improvements into overall best practices, design, testability and quality and productivity.
- Recruit Engineers, grow the team and stay in step with the hiring plan.
- Help engineers grow their skills and experience.
- Hold regular 1:1's with all members of their team.
- Create a sense of psychological safety on their team.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Give clear, timely, and actionable feedback.
- Strong sense of ownership, urgency, and drive.
- 8+ years of experience in the Quality Engineering/Engineering Productivity field.
- 2+ years of experience managing a team of Test Automation Engineers (SDETs) or Engineering Productivity Engineers.
- Strong experience developing in Ruby
- Strong experience using Git
- Strong experience with UI & API test automation tools, particularly in Ruby stack (Capybara, Watir, Selenium and etc.).
- Experience working with Docker containers
- Experience with AWS or Kubernetes
- Experience with Continuous Integration systems (e.g., Jenkins, Travis, GitLab)
- Experience defining high-level test automation strategy based on DevOps industry's best practices.
- Experience driving organizational change with cross-functional stakeholders.
- Enterprise software company experience.
- Computer science education or equivalent experience.
- Passionate about open source, developer tools, and shipping high-quality software.
- Collaborative team spirit with great communication skills
- You share our values, and work in accordance with those values.
Candidates for this position can expect the hiring process to follow the order below. Please keep in mind that candidates can be declined from the position at any stage of the process. As a result an interview can be canceled at any time even if the interviews are very close (e.g. a few hours apart).
- A short questionnaire from our Recruiting team
- 30 minute Screening call with a recruiter
- 1 hour technical Interview with a Senior or Staff Engineer from the Quality Engineering department.
- 1 hour interview with a Senior or Staff Engineer (report)
- 1 hour interview with a Quality Engineering Manager (peer)
- 1 hour interview with the Director of Quality (manager)
- 45 minute interview with VP of Engineering
Please view the compensation range for this role at the bottom of the position description.