Home based - Americas / Western Europe
This role is on the team behind Ubuntu Server, the world's most popular cloud operating system. Ubuntu strives to deliver the latest-best free software components, in an easy to use and highly reliable form. We build on the technical excellence of Debian and bring additional focus and shape to the solutions we offer the industry. Applicants must be passionate about the future of Ubuntu, mindful of the dynamics of the open source ecosystem, and equally aware of the needs of large but innovative organisations.
Are you interested in making sure that Ubuntu includes the very best in free software? Do you have a passion to grow your own skills through tackling a wide variety of challenging software packages? Then we would love to have you join us as we prepare for our next Long Term Support (LTS) release in the coming year.
Key Responsibilities and Accountabilities
- Become involved in the planning of new Ubuntu features, both new ideas in your areas of interest and advising on work being done elsewhere
- Assist in the maintenance of Ubuntu Server packages. Specifically but not limited to:
- Traditional server workloads (Web servers, Databases, Network services, etc)
- Package management
- Booting and early userspace
- Language runtimes
- Take personal ownership of bug-fixing and bug-triage work across a wide variety of Ubuntu Server packages helping to ensure that Ubuntu can produce regular high-quality releases on time
- Collaborate with other teams in the Ubuntu and Debian communities, with upstream projects, and commercially supported customers as necessary
Required skills and experience
- An understanding of the makeup of a modern GNU/Linux distribution, Debian or Ubuntu preferred
- Involvement in open source projects in the past a plus
- Capacity to learn quickly about new systems and techniques
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Degree level education, preferably in a technology field
Travel to international destinations is expected for 1 week at a time approximately 2-4 times per year. Locations in recent years have included Cape Town, Budapest, Berlin, Montreal, and Brussels.
Apply for this Position