Fastly helps people stay better connected with the things they love. Fastly’s edge cloud platform enables customers to create great digital experiences quickly, securely, and reliably by processing, serving, and securing our customers’ applications as close to their end-users as possible — at the edge of the internet. The platform is designed to take advantage of the modern internet, to be programmable, and to support agile software development.
Fastly’s customers use our edge cloud platform to ensure concertgoers can buy tickets to the live events they love, travelers can book flights seamlessly and embark on their next great adventure, and sports fans can stream events in real time, across devices. They include many of the world’s most prominent companies, including Spotify, Alaska Airlines, Hulu, The New York Times, and Ticketmaster.
We're building a more trustworthy Internet. Come join us.
Senior Software Engineer - Infrastructure Provisioning and Tooling
Are you a Senior Software Engineer that loves hardware? Do you speak Perl and Go and think in voltages and firmware? If so, we want to speak to you! Fastly Hardware Engineering is looking for founding members of the Hardware Enablement team. You will bridge the gap between hardware and software supporting Fastly's edge cloud deployment. You will lead the creation of hardware management software solutions including OS installation automation, hardware discovery, stress testing, hardware acceptance testing, automated troubleshooting of potential failures, managing firmware versions, and decommissioning and removal automation. This team will build solutions that streamline operational tasks while minimizing manual intervention.
We are looking for team members that can visualize the big picture - understand operational flows and work to craft the software to streamline the process. You will engage with our Datacenter, Operations, and Hardware Design teams along with external vendors to understand the problem space and derive solutions to enable a repeatable, consistent, self-repairing process. As a founding member of the team you will take our MVP solution and chart its path forward - as such you will get to pick your own path, build consensus with internal teams and push forward!
What You'll Do
- Lead the creation of a hardware lifecycle platform maintaining hardware from deploy to decommission
- Creation of hardware acceptance test suite and automation to be run on all new and rebuild hardware in the field
- Revamping of hardware imaging solution enabling rapid lay-down of OS to new hardware
- Create and manage firmware review and deployment process working with hardware engineering and stakeholders to define the process, tooling and other requirements.
- Creation of a self monitoring, self repairing, self reporting hardware management system tying into current internal tooling and vendor RMA systems.
What We're Looking For
- 5-7 years of direct experience in a technical software role with experience with the provisioning and management of hardware platforms. Specific experience with non-cloud platforms is required
- Able to independently decompose, design, and execute implementation projects delivered with testing and documentation with minimal supervision.
- Deep understanding of Firmware (NIC, BIOS, CPU microcode, BMC, etc) in both OEM and ODM platforms
- Deep understanding of Dell Lifecycle Controller
- Experience with at least 3 system vendors including Dell, HPE, Hyve, QCT etc
- Extensive knowledge in open source operating systems, hypervisors, and orchestration frameworks.
- Extensive knowledge in management platforms and tools; console servers, IPMI, SSH, TFTP, PXE, and telemetry systems such as Prometheus.
- Working knowledge of hardware provisioning platforms (MaaS, Foreman, etc)
- Deep understanding of Curtin, Debian Installer, Preseed and other Linux installers
- Understanding of networking and basic switch configuration
- Understanding of ZTP, and switch firmware and software management
- Experience project managing and leading the technical direction of a team
- Ability to lift/move up to 40 lbs of equipment as required. Ability to exert yourself physically over extended periods of time, including frequent bending, kneeling, climbing, pushing/pulling and lifting.
- Ability to work non-standard hours, including working weekends, holidays,on shift-based schedules and on-call rotations as required.
We have a huge impact. Fastly is a small company with a big reach. Our customers have a tremendous user base, and we support a growing number of open source projects and initiatives. Outside of code, employees are encouraged to share causes close to their hearts with others so we can help lend a supportive hand.
We love distributed teams. Fastly’s home base is in San Francisco, but we have multiple offices and employees sprinkled around the globe. In fact, 50% of our employees work outside of SF! An international remote culture is part of our DNA.
We care about you. Fastly works hard to create a positive environment for our employees, and we think your life outside of work is important too. We support our teams with great benefits, like generous parental leave, options for free medical/dental/vision plans, and an open vacation program that enables our folks to take the time they need to recharge (some benefits may vary by location).
We value diversity. Growing and maintaining our inclusive and diverse team matters to us. We are committed to being a company where our employees feel comfortable bringing their authentic selves to work and have the ability to be successful — every day.
We are passionate. Fastly is chock full of passionate people and we’re not “one size fits all.” Fastly employs authors, pilots, skiers, parents (of humans and animals), makeup geeks, coffee connoisseurs, and more. We love employees for who they are and what they’re passionate about.
We’re always looking for humble, sharp, and creative folks to join the Fastly team. If you think you might be a fit please apply!
Fastly is committed to ensuring equal employment opportunity and to providing employees with a safe and welcoming work environment free of discrimination and harassment.
Employment decisions at Fastly are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, national origin, family or parental status, disability*, age, veteran status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. Fastly encourages applicants from all backgrounds.
*Applicants with disabilities may be entitled to reasonable accommodation under the terms of the Americans with Disabilities Act and certain state or local laws. A reasonable accommodation is a change in the way things are normally done which will ensure an equal employment opportunity without imposing undue hardship on Fastly. Please inform us if you need assistance completing any forms or to otherwise participate in the application process.