The Washington Post is hiring a CONTRACTOR for a Front End Engineer for our Research, Experimentation and Development technology team. In this role, you will create new revenue-driving platforms for the Washington Post’s commercial advertising division. This critical role will be a part of a team that is creating new, innovative marketing and advertising products, and systems to change the way publishers make money. The RED team is deeply interested in changing the fundamentals of advertising technology by building performant, competitive and opinionated tools. Responsibilities:
- Developing new features and applications using React
- Translating designs and wireframes into high quality readable code
- Optimizing components for maximum performance across a vast array of devices and browsers
- Collaborate with team members (RED) in designing and building highly-scalable applications and services and applications for The Washington Post, advertisers and other publishers.
- Eagerness to explore and learn new software languages, tools and applications.
- Contribute to existing, platforms that have a critical role in the digital landscape that supports washingtonpost.com.
- Work with a wide variety of engineering teams, design, product and newsroom stakeholders in the support and building of newsroom and public facing tools and applications.
- Active participation on a scrum team including story grooming, planning work backlog, work estimation, sprint planning, retros, demos, etc.
- Thorough understanding of React and its core principles
- Proficiency working with the latest ECMAScript specification (ES6)
- Experience with common front-end development tools such as Babel, Webpack, NPM, etc
- Experiencing writing tests using frameworks such as Jest
- Proficiency working with HTML and CSS
- Familiarity with Git.
- 2+ years of building either user-facing experiences or resilient content platforms on production sites.
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, equivalent field, or equivalent experience.
Apply for this Position
- Experience with Node, TypeScript and MongoDB.
- Experience working with server side languages such as Python, Java, etc
- Experience with end-to-end testing frameworks.
- Experience building web applications on AWS.