GitLab is looking for a strategic and experienced Senior Digital Design Manager to join our growing in-house Brand and Digital Design team. The Senior Digital Design Manager will have the opportunity to lead the creative and analytical Digital Design team in the creation and optimization of brand and marketing experiences throughout the buyer and customer journey.
In this role, you work with creative and analytical teams and vendors to design, deliver and optimize omni-channel experiences end-to-end with measurable results. You will work closely with the Director of Brand and Digital Design, Brand Manager, and Product and Marketing leads on a wide spectrum of strategies and solutions, such as design systems, websites and microsites, conversion funnels, and email drip campaigns.
What you’ll do in this role:
Continuously improve GitLab’s web presence. You’ll help create and optimize the buyer and customer journey through interactive content and experience design.
Create strategic, seamless brand and marketing experiences. This requires big picture thinking and agile project management throughout a project’s lifecycle, including journey mapping, research, setting KPIs, requirements gathering, concept development, iterative co-design (wireframes and mockups), development, delivery, and ongoing optimization.
Create engaging content. You have a keen eye for design, a strong sense of visual storytelling, and an understanding of content marketing. Content creation at GitLab is supported by a human-centered, collaborative creative process focused on creating engaging and compelling content experiences.
Manage, mentor, and grow a team. You’ll manage a team of talented experienced designers/developers, as well as a website engineer. You’ll help grow their careers at GitLab, and help coach and train them to ensure their success here.
Get hands-on. Some of your time will be spent doing hands-on design and/or development work, depending on your skill sets and strengths. It’s important that you feel comfortable getting into the work alongside your team.
Persuasively communicate conceptual ideas and design decisions. You’ll collaborate with peers and stakeholders to use research and analytics to inform design and development decisions.
You should apply if you have:
- 12+ years of experience working on digital design products.
- 6+ years of experience in either a project leadership or supervisory role.
- A strong portfolio of work that demonstrates the ability to produce user-centered, digital experiences across devices and media channels.
- BA/BS in design, communications, marketing, HCI, or related experience is strongly preferred.
- Strong experience with Adobe Creative Suite and prototyping tools.
- Thorough knowledge of digital design principles, best practices, and web standards.
- Experience leading user experience research and design initiatives.
- Experience with data-informed design and conversion design best practices.
- The ability to facilitate ideation sessions and iterative, co-design sessions with stakeholders.
- Strong relationship-building and communication skills, as well as the ability to listen, provide feedback, inspire and mentor team members.
- The ability to persuasively present design solutions to cross-functional internal audiences to generate excitement and consensus.
- The ability to lead internal GitLab team members and vendors in the design, development and delivery of digital media solutions.
- Exceptional attention to detail and organizational skills.
- Experience developing and ensuring the proper application of brand standards and guidelines.
- Experience with large, high-traffic sites and content management systems; understanding of production processes.
- A genuine interest in the latest design trends and technological developments in the industry.
A shared interest in our values, and working in accordance with those values.
A desire to thrive in an environment where self-learning and self-service is encouraged and instilled as a part of our culture.
Also, we know it’s tough, but please try to avoid the confidence gap. You don’t have to match all the listed requirements exactly to apply! We value diverse experience, so go for it and submit an application if GitLab sounds like a place you’d like to join.
The culture here at GitLab is something we’re incredibly proud of. Because GitLabbers are currently located in more than 63 different countries, you’ll spend your time collaborating with kind, talented, and motivated colleagues from across the globe. Some of the benefits you’ll be entitled to vary by the region or country you’re in. However, all GitLabbers are fully remote and receive a "no ask, must tell" paid-time-off policy, where we don’t count the number of days you take off annually. You can work incredibly flexible hours, enabled by our asynchronous approach to communication. We’ll also help you set up your home office environment, cover your home internet subscription, pay for your membership to a co-working space, and contribute to the travel costs associated with meeting other GitLab employees across the world. Also, every year or so, we all get together at our Contribute event.
Our hiring process for this position can be found in our handbook. Just as a heads up, qualified candidates will be expected to share a portfolio of work that speaks to conceptual skills, design thinking, and team leadership in digital-first design during the interview process.
Apply for this Position