Fastly helps people stay better connected with the things they love. Fastly’s edge cloud platform enables customers to create great digital experiences quickly, securely, and reliably by processing, serving, and securing our customers’ applications as close to their end-users as possible — at the edge of the Internet. The platform is designed to take advantage of the modern internet, to be programmable, and to support agile software development. Fastly’s customers include many of the world’s most prominent companies, including Vimeo, Pinterest, The New York Times, and GitHub.
We're building a more trustworthy Internet. Come join us.
Senior Network Engineer - Edge Cloud Operations
Members of Fastly’s Edge Cloud Operations (ECO) build and operate the platform that makes up over 100 Tbps of connected global capacity spanning across more than 70 points of presence. You are responsible for global infrastructure that serves a significant proportion of the content delivered to internet consumers across the planet, with customers ranging from online media streaming services, to e-commerce, to open source projects, nonprofits and more. We take this responsibility seriously!
We're looking to add Network Engineers that possess comprehensive knowledge of how global networks function at scale, and who carry personal pride and desire to work on a critical platform that directly contributes to making the internet better.
What You'll Be Doing
- Build, operate, and maintain a continually growing global network footprint
- Work multi-functionally with teams in support of accurate rapid expansion
- Partner with Network Reliability Engineering and Network Systems teams in the development and iteration of tools and automation systems that improve how we operate the network
- Mentor other specialists and internal teams on the complexities of global routing in an anycast-heavy environment across multiple interconnect partners and peers
- Provide networking support for internal engineering and client services teams
- Respond to and lead significant traffic events, of both the legitimate and nefarious kind, regional or global in nature, scheduled and unscheduled, using techniques grounded in routing and DNS expertise
- Participate in a follow-the-sun on-call rotation shared with a highly skilled globally distributed team
What We're Looking For
- At least 5-7 years experience operating, building, and/or crafting big networks
- Strong IP routing knowledge, with a focus on solving BGP at a global level
- Deep understanding of TCP/IP, and the potential pitfalls of anycast
- Sound understanding of how CDNs work and their position in the global internet
- You can easily explain how the internet works, with an emphasis on client/server dataflow, up and down protocol stacks
- Comprehensive experience that relates to relationship complexities involving well-known global transit providers, peers, regional carriers, clouds, and DNS service providers
- Ability to analyze traffic patterns across multiple dimensions using flow-based tools
- Exposure to complex load-balanced and multipath network topologies
- Switch hardware diagnostic expertise, with a preference on Arista experience
- Comfort in a Linux environment, the Linux network stack, and familiarity with software/automation workflow tools such as Git, Chef, Ansible, StackStorm or comparable
- Validated scripting abilities in a common language such as BASH, Python, etc
We have a huge impact. Fastly is a small company with a big reach. Not only do our customers have a tremendous user base, but we also support a growing number of open source projects and initiatives. Outside of code, employees are encouraged to share causes close to their heart with others so we can help lend a supportive hand.
We love distributed teams. Fastly’s home-base is in San Francisco, but we have multiple offices and employees sprinkled around the globe. In fact, 50% of our employees work outside of SF! An international remote culture is in our DNA.
We care about you. Fastly works hard to create a positive environment for our employees, and we think your life outside of work is important too. We support our teams with great benefits like up to 20 weeks of paid parental leave, options for free medical/dental/vision plans, and an open vacation program that enables our folks to take the time they need to recharge (some benefits may vary by location).
We value diversity. Growing and maintaining our inclusive and diverse team matters to us. We are committed to being a company where our employees feel comfortable bringing their authentic selves to work and have the ability to be successful -- every day.
We are passionate. Fastly is chock full of passionate people and we’re not ‘one size fits all’. Fastly employs authors, pilots, skiers, parents (of humans and animals), makeup geeks, coffee connoisseurs, and more. We love employees for who they are and what they are passionate about.
We’re always looking for humble, sharp, and creative folks to join the Fastly team. If you think you might be a fit please apply!
Fastly is committed to ensuring equal employment opportunity and to providing employees with a safe and welcoming work environment free of discrimination and harassment.
Employment decisions at Fastly are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, national origin, family or parental status, disability*, age, veteran status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. Fastly encourages applicants from all backgrounds.
*Applicants with disabilities may be entitled to reasonable accommodation under the terms of the Americans with Disabilities Act and certain state or local laws. A reasonable accommodation is a change in the way things are normally done which will ensure an equal employment opportunity without imposing undue hardship on Fastly. Please inform us if you need assistance completing any forms or to otherwise participate in the application process.