Remote, United States
GitLab is looking to hire a Director of Legal, Commercial. In this role you will be responsible for advising clients across GitLab on a broad range of commercial matters related to our global customer and vendor base.
Our Director of Legal, Commercial will be a critical member of our legal team and will report to our Chief Legal Officer. The attorney in this role will be responsible for collaborating with and advising our colleagues in the sales and channel organizations on complex transactional matters with an eye toward efficiently growing and managing a worldwide team of commercial attorneys.
Advise on, negotiate and close a wide range of commercial contracts including inbound and outbound licensing, professional services and partner agreements;
- Lead larger impact projects both within the department and across the company, including the development of legal processes or templates to increase efficiencies and better serve customers and internal clients;
- Contribute to developing and conducting subject specific training and education programs for team members;
- Anticipate legal issues or risks and build the necessary processes and systems to address them;
- Manage outside counsel relationships as necessary.
- 10+ years combined law firm and in-house legal department experience, preferably as a lead commercial lawyer in a multinational company managing a team of attorneys;
- JD/US law degree and bar admission in at least US one state;
- Proven success working effectively across business units and internal functions to efficiently resolve complex business and risk management issues while considering many non-legal variables, such as culture, brand, communications, government relations, tax, revenue recognition, insurance, finance and other functional areas;
- Experience with issues related to enterprise software and SaaS licensing, data privacy, information security, intellectual property and open source software in the US and in non-US jurisdictions;
- Practical yet creative problem-solving approach that emphasizes addressing business needs while protecting GitLab’s interests;
- Proactive, dynamic, and result driven self starter with strong attention to detail;
- Familiarity working across the globe, to support multiple time zones and cultures;
- Outstanding interpersonal skills, the ability to interface effectively with all business functions throughout the organization with a highly responsive and service-oriented attitude;
- Sound and practical business judgment;
- Previous experience in a remote work environment would be an added advantage;
- Ability to use GitLab;
Successful completion of a background check.
Candidates for this position can expect the hiring process to follow the order below. Please keep in mind that candidates can be declined from the position at any stage of the process. To learn more about someone who may be conducting the interview, find their job title on our team page.
- 30 minute screening call with Recruiter
- 50 minute interview with our Chief Legal Officer
- 50 minute interview with another member our Legal team
- 50 minute interview with Vice President, Sales
- 50 minute interview with Director, Sales
Additional details about our process can be found on our hiring page.
Apply for this Position