- Flexible/remote work friendly environment
- Greenfield project
- Technology first company
- Work with exciting AI & mobile tech
- Join an experienced tech & product team
Ukufu* (pronounced oo - koo - foo) is a new AI powered content aggregation mobile application for professionals. Ukufu version 1.0 is set for a soft-launch in late September.
We recently closed a round of seed funding from a couple of smart and supportive investors, and we are excited for the next stage of our journey!
Watch a short message from our CEO:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABE_3NQRb5E
Our mission is bold:
Build an intelligence layer around the 10 000 English news-related content pieces that get published every day. Then use this layer to power an easy-to-use category based content aggregation app that helps professionals efficiently consume content across multiple content sources.
We want to enable a content consumption experience that is simple to use, yet comprehensive in depth and breadth of content.
We are already 3 months into our journey. You can view a working prototype of our mobile application here:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0Fp2HDH7SU
Over the next 6 - 12 months, we will be focussed on stage 1, working closely with users to build something amazing that we can then scale up in stage 2.
Our headquarters are in the Sydney CBD but we have team members around the world. This role can be on-site, remote or a mix of both. Our distributed team structures requires all team members to be flexible around time zones. Each role also has minimum daily crossover time requirements.
Our remote-friendly work culture and processes have been in place for a couple of years (our team used to work together on a product that reached over 4 million users) and our distributed team structure is working well. All team members are required to ensure there is a
We work hard at fostering a focused and friendly workplace, where team members are able to do their best work.
We are looking for someone with outstanding technical experience, a mature attitude and a preference for working with a small smart team, to join us in the role of Technical Lead at Ukufu.
This role includes hands-on development work as well as mentoring, building out the team when applicable, code reviews and systems architectural design. You will work directly with the CEO as well as the development and product team.
Our team of 8 currently consists of 3 engineers (excluding the Tech Lead). We aim to add 4 new engineers (excluding the Tech lead) over the next couple of months. These 7 engineers will fall under your leadership.
Our non-engineering team members include a Design Lead and Product Manager who you will work closely with.
Our current stack includes Flutter, Python, PHP, Kubernetes and AWS.
- Strategise with the business and product teams to determine priorities and goals
- Lead technical discussions and decisions
- Advocate best practice software engineering principles within the team
- Drive process in an agile environment
- Fill the role of a Scrum master, directing various ceremonies, e.g. Planning sessions, retrospectives, Sprint showcases, etc
- Ensure a constant operational awareness of the platform health and team effectiveness
- Identify gaps in team capabilities and be involved in the hiring process
- Analyse data in order to help identify areas for improvement in the product, process and team
- Mentor the team in both engineering and process-related areas
- Actively developing the application
- Assist on occasion with various technical tasks relating to different legacy products
- At least 10 years of relevant experience in a software development role.
- Experience designing and building complex software solutions and related infrastructure
- Experience building, configuring and maintaining a mobile-related application stack.
- Strong background in OO development with a proficient understanding of fundamental principles such as TDD, DDD, SOLID, DRY and KISS.
- Familiarity working with Amazon AWS services (e.g. RDS, DMS, S3, EC2, CloudWatch, CloudSearch, ElasticSearch, etc).
- Working experience with Linux.
- Experience with system monitoring tools.
- Familiarity with popular server software packages (MySQL, PostgreSQL)
- Mature attitude
- Experience leading and managing a technical team
- Excellent written and verbal skills
- Exceptional attention to detail and the ability to manage multiple high priority projects and tasks
- Passion for solving complex technical problems
- Enjoy working in a fast-moving environment
- Strong working knowledge of the latest Machine Learning techniques and technologies
- Mobile application development experience
- Experience with Dart or Flutter
- DevOps experience
- Experience building an online product
- Has contributed to open source projects (provide examples if available)
- Comprehensive understanding and experience with system security
- Relevant University degree
Our application process usually includes an initial chat with the CEO, one technical task, then a chat with 2-3 additional team members.
To apply for this role, please apply via the Recruitee link only.
* Ukufu comes from the Zulu word Ukufunda, which means “to learn”.