At Elastic, we have a simple goal: to solve the world's data problems with products that delight and inspire. As the company behind the popular open source projects — Elasticsearch, Kibana, Beats, and Logstash — we help people around the world do great things with their data. From stock quotes to Twitter streams, Apache logs to WordPress blogs, our products are extending what's possible with data, delivering on the promise that good things come from connecting the dots. We unite Elasticians across 30+ countries (and counting!), 18 timezones, and 30 different languages into one coherent team, while the broader community spans across over 100 countries.
About The Role
You will be responsible for technical leadership in several functional areas of Elastic’s Cloud offerings. You will lead by example and should participate in coding, debugging complex failure scenarios, and triaging bugs. You’ll analyze the current system, it’s strength and limitations. You will participate in roadmap and project planning efforts and will have ownership for delivering it. You’ll be participating in project management efforts as the teams execute on plans, and you’ll have a role in communicating progress and status to stakeholders.
Managing a highly complex distributed system that is easy to operate via elegantly designed components and APIs is a non-trivial effort. It requires solid software development skills, and more importantly, a sharp mind and the ability to think like a user. We also care deeply about giving you full ownership of what you’re working on. Our company fundamentally believes great minds achieve greatness when they are set free and are surrounded and challenged by their peers, which is clearly visible in our organization. We feel that anyone needs to be in a position to comment on truly anything, regardless of his or her role within the company.
What you will be doing
- Help lead the SRE team manage thousands of Elasticsearch clusters in our SaaS offering
- Provide technical leadership for several functional areas in the SRE team like monitoring, platform security, IaaC, incident management, and more
- Combine Elastic’s products (like Elasticsearch, Kibana, Beats, Machine Learning) with cloud management technologies like Kubernetes &Docker to build reliable and scalable Cloud solutions for customers
- Work with the team to help build scalable solutions to deliver the best customer experience on our SaaS offering.
- Build and operate mission critical services on a globally distributed level, using Cloud hosting providers like GCP, Azure, etc.
- Have a scope that covers contributing to technical plans and direction within Cloud and across other product teams in Elastic
- Understand our company strategy and help guide our Cloud product’s direction to realize it
- Lead the technical decision-making for multiple projects and initiatives
- Translate high level technical guidance into actionable direction for the teams and initiatives
- Work with a distributed team of engineers from all across the globe
- Work with Support and other teams across Elastic to respond to escalations
- Interact with other Principal Engineers to coordinate and align technical direction and strategic plans across multiple areas
- Create technical designs and POCs for new efforts and expansion into new Clouds and regions
- Be hands on with the codebase. Review work done in the team, and provide constructive feedback
- Drive alignment with the coding practices and standards of the team
What you will bring along
- Experience building and operating globally distributed SaaS, with a track record of delivering reliable and scalable services
- Experience developing and reviewing complex technical requirements, and translating them into actionable tasks for engineers
- Ability to communicate well with individuals and groups to accomplish a common set of goals
- Previous experience providing technical leadership for a team of engineers
- Previous experience in an ownership role for technical direction and strategy
- Previous experience working with stakeholders outside of Engineering
- Experience leading a team to fulfill requirements for a compliance framework (SOC2, HIPPA, etc.)
- Experience triaging and responding to production service outages
- Proven ability to identify and remediate common hosting environment and software security problems
We're looking to hire team members invested in realizing the goal of making real-time data exploration easy and available to anyone. As a distributed company, we believe that diversity drives our vibe! Whether you're looking to launch a new career or grow an existing one, Elastic is the type of company where you can balance great work with great life.
- Competitive pay based on the work you do here and not your previous salary
- Global minimum of 16 weeks of parental leave (moms & dads)
- Generous vacation time and one week of volunteer time off
- Your age is only a number. It doesn't matter if you're just out of college or your children are; we need you for what you can do.
Elastic is an Equal Employment employer committed to the principles of equal employment opportunity and affirmative action for all applicants and employees. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender perception or identity, national origin, age, marital status, protected veteran status, or disability status or any other basis protected by federal, state or local law, ordinance or regulation. Elastic also makes reasonable accommodations for disabled employees consistent with applicable law.
Apply for this Position