The Program Coordinator, Social Impact Engagement will play a critical role in designing and implementing employee & developer engagement programs on social impact issues. This position will sit with the GitHub Social Impact team, whose mission is to activate GitHub’s product, people and platform to address pressing social good issues of our time, such as homelessness, disaster relief, migrants & refugees, etc. GitHub employees and users are passionate about and interested in addressing the social problems that impact developers and the communities where they work and live. This is a chance to be a part of our Social Impact team as we shape GitHub’s unique opportunity to deliver impact through the energy, passion, expertise and capacity of Hubbers and users on our platform. This position reports to the Director, Social Impact.
- Build “best in class” programs with a regular cadence for volunteering opportunities that engage global employees in meaningful community impact while also supporting business objectives; directly manage volunteer events overseeing all details, coordinating with nonprofit partners and owning outcomes
- Work with nonprofit organizations and other social sector partners to identify and define opportunities for GH employees and users to meaningfully give back
- Design & build skills-based volunteering programs that leverage the expertise & capacity of Hubbers (e.g., leveraging the technical capacity of Hubbers to address nonprofit needs, etc.)
- Deepen the capacity of Hubbers through learning programs on societal issues (i.e., speaker series)
- Integrate current & future programs with the wider Social Impact strategy (Open Source for Good, Tech Pipeline, Hubber Giving) and work with the wider team to ensure coordination, collaboration and alignment
- Engage GitHub users on important social issues on the GH platform, and connect them to opportunities to lend their support on societal issues (e.g., connecting them with nonprofits on GH platform who need their expertise for skills-based volunteering, etc.)
- Collaborate with GitHub Internal Communications to design & implement employee engagement campaign to increase Hubber awareness, engagement & participation
- Collaborate with GitHub Marketing & Communications to design and develop external communications on employee & developer engagement initiatives
- Manage program design, program planning, internal budgets & reporting for the all volunteer programs
- At least 4 years of relevant experience
- Demonstrated experience in one or more of these key disciplines: volunteer management, employee engagement, program development, partnership management, community relations, corporate social impact, philanthropy
- Demonstrated experience to excite, motivate, inspire and engage employees/users to engage productively on societal issues (i.e., Ability to bring people together around a common goal and lead by influence)
- Knowledge of and experience with the social sector, particularly working with nonprofits and other social sector partners to identify collaboration opportunities and ideally with some international work exposure
- Demonstrated experience working in with a team to pursue common goals & objectives
- Strong project manager that has impeccable attention to detail
- Ability to work across cultures and with diverse communities, including across global time zones
- Solid understanding of the systemic and root causes of critical social issues
- Ability to synthesize information quickly from multiple sources and provide sound recommendations for specific strategies
- Strong communicator that can tell effective stories (strengthened by data) of how GH employees and users are engaged in societal issues
- A passion for creating and sustaining connections between business, employees and the community; a desire to build, and a passion to continuously improve
- Resilient and able to adapt to significant change and challenges
- An excellent reputation for integrity and judgment
- Remote ok, though significant travel to HQ and other GitHub offices will be required
- A (well written!) cover letter is required.
- Prior experience in a corporate social responsibility/corporate social impact role for tech company
- Reads the news and stays informed on global and domestic social good issues
- Based in SF (HQ).
Who We Are:
GitHub is the developer company. Over 40 million people use GitHub to build amazing things together across 100 million repositories. We make it easier for developers to be developers: to work together, to solve challenging problems, to create the world’s most important technologies. We foster a collaborative community that can come together—as individuals and in teams—to create the future of software and make a difference in the world.
- Customer Obsessed
- Trust by Default
- Ship to Learn
- Own the Outcome
- Growth Mindset
- Global Product, Global Team
- Anything is Possible
- Practice Kindness
Why You Should Join:
At GitHub, we constantly strive to create an environment that allows our employees (Hubbers) to do the best work of their lives. We've designed one of the coolest workspaces in San Francisco (HQ), where over half of our Hubbers work, snack, and create daily. The other half of our Hubbers work remotely in 18 countries across the globe.
We are also committed to keeping Hubbers healthy, motivated, focused and creative. We've designed our top-notch benefits program with these goals in mind. In a nutshell, we've built a place where we truly love working, we think you will too.
GitHub is made up of people from a wide variety of backgrounds and lifestyles. We embrace diversity and invite applications from people of all walks of life. We don't discriminate against employees or applicants based on gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, race, religion, age, national origin, citizenship, disability, pregnancy status, veteran status, or any other differences. Also, if you have a disability, please let us know if there's any way we can make the interview process better for you; we're happy to accommodate!
Please note that benefits vary by country, if you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask your Talent Partner.