This position is remote based.
At GitLab, developers are independent and self-organized individual contributors who work together as a tight team in a remote and agile way.
Backend Engineers at GitLab in the Static Site Editor Team work on maintaining and improving the functionality of the GitLab Handbook. Our handbook isn’t your typical handbook and is a strategic, fluid site that is critical for our success. It is viewable both internally and externally to GitLab team-members, investors, customers, candidates, and everyone else around the world.
- Develop features and improvements to the GitLab Handbook in a secure, well-tested, and performant way.
- Work with publishers to resolve technical issues related to the proper display of content and to develop automated website features.
- Ability to analyze and interpret highly complex data to arrive at actionable recommendations
- Advocate for improvements to product quality, security, and performance
- Solve technical problems of moderate scope and complexity.
- Craft code that meets our internal standards for style, maintainability, and best practices for a high-scale web environment. Maintain and advocate for these standards through code review.
- Represent GitLab and its values in public communication around specific projects and community contributions.
- Confidently ship small features and improvements with minimal guidance and support from other team members. Collaborate with the team on larger projects.
- Professional experience with Ruby and Rails
- Experience in static site generators or other web content management systems
- Advanced git knowledge
- Web server knowledge, for example programmatic redirects of webpages.
- Proficiency in the English language, both written and verbal, sufficient for success in a remote and largely asynchronous work environment
- Demonstrated capacity to clearly and concisely communicate about complex technical, architectural, and/or organizational problems and propose thorough iterative solutions
- Experience with performance and optimization problems and a demonstrated ability to both diagnose and prevent these problems
Comfort working in a highly agile, intensely iterative software development process
- Demonstrated ability to onboard and integrate with an organization long-term
- Positive and solution-oriented mindset
Effective communication skills: Regularly achieve consensus with peers, and clear status updates
- An inclination towards communication, inclusion, and visibility
- Experience owning a project from concept to production, including proposal, discussion, and execution.
Self-motivated and self-managing, with strong organizational skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work closely with other parts of the organization
Share our values, and work in accordance with those values
- Ability to thrive in a fully remote organization
- Experience in a peak performance organization, preferably a tech startup
- Clear understanding of web standards and usability methods.
- Product company experience
- Experience working with a remote team
- Enterprise software company experience
- Developer platform/tool industry experience
- Experience working with a global or otherwise multicultural team
- Computer science education or equivalent experience
- Passionate about/experienced with open source and developer tools
Apply for this Position