This role will require an analytical and business-oriented mindset with the ability to implement rigorous database solutions and best practices in order to produce and influence the adoption of strong quality data insights to drive business decisions in all areas of GitLab. Data Engineers are essentially software engineers who have a particular focus on data movement and orchestration.
- 2+ years experience in an analytics role
- Experience building reports and dashboards in a data visualization tool
- Passionate about data, analytics and automation. Experience cleaning and modeling large quantities of raw, disorganized data (we use dbt)
- Experience with a variety of data sources. Our data includes Salesforce, Zuora, Zendesk, Marketo, NetSuite, Snowplow and many others (see the data team page)
- Demonstrate capacity to clearly and concisely communicate complex business logic, technical requirements, and design recommendations through iterative solutions
- Deep understanding of SQL in analytical data warehouses (we use Snowflake SQL) and in business intelligence tools (we use Periscope)
- Hands on experience working with SQL, Python, API calls, and JSON, to generate business insights and drive better organizational decision making
- Familiarity with Git and the command line
- Deep understanding of relational and non-relational databases, SQL and query optimization techniques, and demonstrated ability to both diagnose and prevent performance problems
- Effective communication and collaboration skills, including clear status updates
- Positive and solution-oriented mindset
- Comfort working in a highly agile, intensely iterative environment
Self-motivated and self-managing, with strong organizational skills
- Ability to thrive in a fully remote organization
- Share and work in accordance with our values
- Successful completion of a background check
- Support the Product function by spearheading tracking and reporting initiatives
- Focus on product usage metrics across SaaS and self-managed products
- Build cross-functional analyses to drive strategic decision-making
- Priorities will be set by a Director of Product but will collaborate with and report into the Data Team
To view the full job description and its compensation calculator, view our handbook. The compensation calculator can be found towards the bottom of the page.
Additional details about our process can be found on our hiring page.
Apply for this Position