Puppet’s Customer Success organization is looking for a Senior Sales Engineer (SE) to join the Customer Success team in EMEA and work alongside the best DevOps technical teams in the industry. The SE position is a both a technical and sales related role where you will play a critical role in partnering with your aligned sales account manager(s), working to close opportunities within your sales region.
You will engage with customers throughout the entire sales lifecycle, discovering the customer’s needs, writing proposals, giving solution demonstrations, scoping professional services, building key customer relationships and where necessary leading proof of concept projects to close the technical part of the sales.
You will also work in collaboration with your peers in Professional Services, Support, Marketing, and Channel Partners, leveraging the tools and resources available to help accelerate the sales opportunity and pipeline creation.
Key Areas of Responsibility
- Own the technical sales activities within the sales process to gain the technical win and build customers trust.
- Assist the aligned account team to qualify opportunities by understanding customer needs and challenges
- Provide customer presentations on Puppet technologies
- Provide customer demonstrations on Puppet technologies
- Scope/deliver Proof of Concepts and write success criteria documents
- Write sales solution proposals including high-level solutions and professional services
- Scope professional services and training requirements in written SOW
- Own the Technical response to RFIs/RFPs
- Retain a competent level of knowledge and technical hands-on experience across Puppet’s products, solutions and sales proposition
- Participate in sales planning, QBRs, strategic initiatives that create a pipeline, upsell the account and drive competitive displacements.
- Play a proactive "Technical Account Management" role within your target accounts including building a trusted relationship, retaining an understanding of the customers and contributing to business development activities
- Present at Puppet and Industry events
- Update and maintain the technical SE activities within Salesforce system
Research & Skills Development
- Maintain expert knowledge of Puppet Services Portfolio and products
- Maintain current knowledge via internal webinars, case study, training, Wiki and all other resources
- Keep abreast of trends and industry analysts reports
- Help mentor other SE's with technical design standards and implementation of best practices
- Perform research into technology partner or other vendor solutions in the context of client requirements for integration
- Collaborate with Puppet Product Engineer programs, Sales, PS Operations providing points of view and documentation as needed
To be successful in this role you will need to bring some key skills and experience:
- 5+ years proven experience in Presales/Systems Engineering position
- Experience in engaging with executive stakeholders, solution architects, and extended program teams
- Solid verbal and written communication skills, with the ability to adapt messaging to varying stakeholder levels
- Proven experience in designing and implementing solutions with the Puppet technology or similar technology platform
- Experience with the Configuration management, CI/CD practices and toolsets, DevOps and DevSecOps practices
- Fundamental understanding of the key technologies relevant to the Puppet solutions including:
- git-based version control
- Automated testing (rspec, serverspec, beaker, or others)
- Monitoring (Nagios, Splunk, ELK stack, or others)
- Containers and related frameworks (docker, kubernetes, or others)
- Public and Private Clouds (AWS, Azure, OpenStack, VMware)
- Continuous Integration (Jenkins, Bamboo, or others)
- Programming skills - Ideal but not essential (Ruby, Python, Perl, etc.)
- Unix &/or Linux SysAdmin or DevOps background, including automation
- Windows systems administration experience, including Microsoft PowerShell
- Large scale infrastructure automation experience in on-premises and cloud environments
- Experience with some of the following technologies
- Ability to handle and overcome objections in both a pre-sales and project delivery
- Ability to learn technology quickly through instruction and self-training
- Ability to work in an international, fast-growing environment
- Ability to travel up to customer locations as required
Working at Puppet
Puppet’s core mission is to eliminate soul-crushing work. We created the industry standard for managing infrastructure as code. And we didn’t stop there—our product portfolio has grown to help organizations automate across their entire software delivery lifecycle. With more than two-thirds of Fortune 100 companies using Puppet’s open source or commercial products, our code is helping power thousands of organizations across the world.
As the industry leader in DevOps solutions, we realize that our success is a collective effort; all made possible by the incredible people working here, our customers, partners, and Puppet community. Our culture is built on positivity, diversity, inclusivity, and support—and we seek people who are resilient, entrepreneurial-minded, team players who continually strive to be incrementally better every single day. In our work together we aim to be curious, accountable, empathetic and, above all, collaborative. If this sounds like the environment you’d thrive in, why not say hello?
If you are an individual with a disability and require a reasonable accommodation to complete any part of the application process, or are limited in the ability or unable to access or use this online application process and need an alternative method for applying, you may contact +44 2895 903 130 for assistance.