This position is remote based.
We're looking for a product manager that can help us work on the future of developer tools. Specifically, building out our lovable support for GitLab by driving the strategy and execution of Gitaly, a remote procedure call handler to Git repositories.
We believe developers deserve an intuitive, single application that covers the entire DevOps lifecycle. We believe running tests is just the beginning of automation. We believe deploying your code should be automated and repeatable, and most of all, easy. We believe in pushing the boundaries of best-practices, and bringing these to every developer, so that doing the right thing is also the easy, default way of working.
We know there are a million things we can and want to improve about GitLab's support for DevOps workflows. It'll be your job to work out what we are going to do and how.
We work in quite a unique way at GitLab, where lots of flexibility and independence is mixed with a high paced, pragmatic way of working. And everything we do is in the open.
We recommend looking at our company page the product handbook and our product categories to get started.
Drive the product in the right direction
- Build an effective roadmap to prioritize important features properly
- Take high-level feature proposals and customer problems and break them into small iterations that engineering can work on
Balance new features, improvements, and bugfixes to ensure a high velocity and a stable product
- Consider the business impact, ROI, and other implications when taking important decisions
Take an active role in defining the future
Manage the product lifecycle end-to-end
- Follow feature development end-to-end; provide guidance and feedback to engineers and designers; ensure everyone is aligned
- Be the voice of the customer and the subject-matter expert for your group
- Contribute to documentation, blog posts, demos, and marketing materials for product features
- Collaborate with other Product Managers, UX, and engineers in cross-area features to build a single application
- Manage the uncertainty in an efficient way, adjusting plans to new working conditions
Engage with stakeholders in two-way communication
- Assist Sales, Support, Customer Success, and Marketing as the subject-matter expert for your area
Talk to customers and engage with the community regularly
- Engage with analysts on briefings and product evaluations
- Work with the entire Product team to share improvements and best practices
You are not (solely) responsible for:
A team of engineers: you will take the lead in decisions about the product, but not manage the people implementing it
Capacity planning: you will define priorities, but the Engineering Manager evaluates the amount of work possible
Shipping in time: you will work in a group, but the group is responsible for shipping in time, not you
- 5+ years Experience in product management
- Strong understanding of Git and Git workflows
- Knowledge of the devops tool market
- Strong technically: you understand how software is built, packaged, deployed and operated
- Passion for design and usability
- Highly independent and pragmatic
- Excellent proficiency in English
- You are living wherever you want
- You share our values, and work in accordance with those values
- Strong understanding of DevOps and cloud-native application architectures, deployment and operations
- Bonus points: Significant experience building successful devops tools
- Bonus points: experience with GitLab
- Bonus points: experience in working with open source projects
Apply for this Position
- Selected candidates will be invited to schedule a screening call with our Global Recruiters
- Selected Candidates will then be scheduled with a Product Manager for A Deep Dive Interview
- Candidates will then interview with the Engineering Manager for the Role
- Candidates will also interview with the Director of Product for that role
- Finally, Candidates will interview with the VP of Product