This position is remote based.
We're looking for a Group Manager, Product that can help us work on the future of developer tools. Specifically, building out our lovable support for the complete DevOps lifecycle in our Manage stage
which includes authentication, compliance, analytics, and importers.
We believe developers deserve an intuitive, single application that covers the entire DevOps lifecycle. We believe running tests is just the beginning of automation. We believe deploying and monitoring your code should be automated and repeatable, and most of all, easy. We believe in pushing the boundaries of best-practices, and bringing these to every developer, so that doing the right thing is also the easy, default way of working.
We know there are a million things we can and want to improve about GitLab's management the DevOps lifecycle. It'll be your job to work out what we are going to do and how.
We work in quite a unique way at GitLab, where lots of flexibility and independence is mixed with a high paced, pragmatic way of working. And everything we do is in the open.
We recommend looking at our company page and the product handbook to get started.
As the Group Manager, Product, you will be responsible for managing and building a team that focuses on a subset of GitLab's product categories. This role typically manages 2-4 Product Managers, and reports either to a Director of Product or the VP of Product.
- Make sure you have a great product team (recruit and hire, sense of progress, promote proactively, identify underperformance)
- Work on the vision with the Director of Product, VP of Product Strategy, VP of Product, and CEO; and communicate this vision internally and externally
- Distill the overall vision into a compelling roadmap
- Make sure the vision advances in every release and communicate this
- Communicate our vision though demo's, conference speaking, blogging, and interviews
- Work closely with Product Marketing, Sales, Engineering, etc.
- Ensure that the next milestone contains the most relevant items to customers, users, and us
- Work with customers, users, and other teams to make feature proposals enticing, actionable, and small
- Make sure the DevOps tools are up to date
- Keep /direction up to date as our high level roadmap
- Regularly join customer and partner visits that can lead to new features
- Ensure that we translate user demands to features that make them happy but keep the product UI clean and the codebase maintainable
- Make sure the release announcements are attractive and cover everything
- Be present on social media (hacker news, twitter, stack overflow, mailinglist), especially around releases
You are not (solely) responsible for:
A team of engineers: you will take the lead in decisions about the product, but not manage the people implementing it
Capacity planning: you will define priorities, but the Engineering Manager evaluates the amount of work possible
Shipping in time: you will work in a group, but the group is responsible for shipping in time, not you
- 1-3 years experience managing others
- 4-6 years of experience in product management
- Experience hiring teams in high growth companies
- Experience in DevOps
- Experience with solutions from the product category or DevOps stage you will be responsible for
- Technical background or clear understanding of developer products; familiarity with Git, Continuous Integration, Containers, Kubernetes, and Project Management software a plus
- Additional requirements are outlined in the Product Management Career Development Framework
- You are living wherever you want and are excited about the all remote lifestyle
- You share our values, and work in accordance with those values
The compensation calculator for this role can be found here