HigherEducation partners with many of the most recognizable names in the online education industry to help them build their programs and expand student bases. We have 75M annual site visitors and are very good at what we do. We also love to use cutting edge technologies to make developer life enjoyable and more productive.
What kind of stuff do we do?
This past year, we drastically improved the performance and architecture of our React + Node + Docker apps as our application traffic tripled. Some highlights were features like:
- Breaking some larger services into smaller, lightning-fast apps that are fun to work on- Implementing a newer, shinier, A/B testing platform that allows us to run experiments both server and client side
- Cutting 50-80% off of our response times- Next year, who knows just how high we can fly!
We're looking for more on-site (Houston) or remote (anywhere in the US) engineers to join the team to help us hit these goals and keep making use of the great new tech that is emerging every year.
Pay is competitive, benefits are great (e.g. 6% 401k matching), the team is tons of fun, and a great work/life balance truly makes you enjoy the time spent on the job.
The ideal candidate will have:
- A full stack mentality
- you're equally happy in React apps as you are working on the API and cache layer. Some projects you'll be doing both, sometimes just one, sometimes just the other.
- Meaningful experience with React apps
- you're a senior
- you've done it, you have opinions, lessons learned and perhaps some horror stories
- Meaningful experience with building Node.js API's
- you can spin up an API complete with DB and auth with no hand-holding. You also know how to improve performance when requests get slow.
- Essentially, you love to be involved with the whole stack minus Ops and aren't afraid to take on new and challenging areas, whether it's performance and scaling, DevOps, or in-depth CSS optimization.
Bonus points go to the contestants displaying:
- Experience working with new CSS features like Custom properties and CSS Grid- Production experience with building and consuming GraphQL API's
- Strong knowledge of Docker (we deploy everything via Docker)
- AWS – specifically EC2, RDS, Elasticache, Lambda, VPC
- Experience with Docker CI workflows using hosted or on-prem CI platforms such as CircleCI, Codeship, DroneCI, Jenkins, etc
- DNS, load balancing, failover & scaling strategies- Having the right emoji and gif for every situation
Benefits & Perks:
Apply for this Position
- The short of it: we want you to be really glad that you work here and laugh when recruiters email you opportunities elsewhere
- 6% 401k matching
- 100% health / vision / dental for you & partial subsidies for the rest of your family
- 15 vacation & sick days / yr. + many U.S. & company holidays
- Flexible hours
- getting the work done and communicating well is what matters most
- Gym membership reimbursement up to $100/mo because those biceps aren't going to grow themselves
- You get to work with Evan. Believe me, we all appreciate this.