Pivotal Cloud Foundry monitoring - Golang Engineer
The Observability team is in charge of developing solutions that focus on application developers and engineers that run infrastructure and services supporting these applications. Elasticsearch is an efficient datastore for logs, metrics, and application traces, supporting the three pillars of observability. The Observability team builds and maintains solutions that make getting insights from this data turnkey and efficient, such as our APM, Infrastructure Monitoring, and Logs solutions. When developing these solutions, we think about the problem end-to-end: how do we automatically collect data from common data sources, how do we store it efficiently in Elasticsearch, how do we present this information to the user, what actions do we take on the insights from the data? All of these aspects are important in bringing a turnkey solution to the market.
The Beats platform is the basis for building open source shippers that collect all kinds of operational data, store it in Elasticsearch, and visualize it with Kibana. They collect data from edge servers, and are used to power application monitoring, infrastructure monitoring, and network monitoring. We currently have five official Beats: Filebeat for gathering logs, Packetbeat for network traffic, Metricbeat for metrics, Winlogbeat for Windows event logs, Heartbeat for uptime monitoring, and Auditbeat for audit data. In addition, the open-source community has created over 40 Beats, collecting data from all sorts of sources. All current Beats are written in Go
Beats provides modern features for containers monitoring: from Kubernetes logs retrieval to automatic services discovery.
We are looking for someone to help us keep improving our integration with Pivotal Cloud Foundry platform obtaining metrics and logs from it, as part of our infrastructure monitoring effort
The team is diverse and distributed across the world, and collaborates on daily basis over Github, Zoom, and Slack.
You would be working on:
- Define and implement our effort to integrate with Pivotal Cloud Foundry platform.
- Write open source Golang code within the infrastructure monitoring solution.
- Design and build new features for infrastructure and services observability. Dive into new technologies and figure out how to best monitor them.
- Work with our support team to help customers.
- Interact with the community, understand their needs and help them use our products.
- Collaborate with other development teams, quality engineering team and documentation team to execute on product deliverables.
- Spread the word, write blog posts about features you worked on, speak at conferences, if you are willing to.
- Experience working with Pivotal Cloud Foundry from a monitoring or operations point of view.
- BS, MS or PhD in Computer Science or related engineering discipline and 3+ years of industry experience.
- Experience creating system level software on Unix. Experience in Golang programming is a big plus, but not strictly required. Our team can teach you and get you up to speed.
- Hands-on experience with Docker and Kubernetes. Experience monitoring or operating a cluster is a plus.
- Operational experience with monitoring systems would be very welcome.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, a great teammate with strong analytical, problem solving, debugging, and troubleshooting skills.
- Ability to work in a distributed team throughout the world.
- Knowledge and experience in Elasticsearch, Logstash, Distributed Systems is a plus.
- Competitive pay and benefits
- Catered lunches, snacks, and beverages in most offices
- An environment in which you can balance great work with a great life
- Passionate people building great products
- Employees with a wide variety of interests
- Your age is only a number. It doesn't matter if you're just out of college or your children are; we need you for what you can do.
- Distributed-first company with employees in over 30 countries, spread across 18 time zones, and speaking over 30 languages! Some even fly south for the winter :)
Apply for this Position