Fastly helps the world’s most popular digital businesses keep pace with their customer expectations by delivering fast, secure, and scalable online experiences. Businesses trust Fastly to accelerate the pace of technical innovation, mitigate evolving threats, and scale on demand. Founded in 2011, Fastly powers online destinations including Airbnb, GitHub, Alaska Airlines, Pinterest, Vimeo, The Guardian, and The New York Times.
The worldwide cloud services market is projected to grow rapidly to $236 billion in 2020, according to Forrester, Inc. As more and more businesses move operations to the cloud, Fastly is well positioned to continue increasing CDN, cloud networking and cloud security market share with edge cloud services that reach beyond content delivery.
We’re building a better Internet. Come join us.
Engineering Manager, Control Systems
The Control Systems Engineering Manager will support and nurture a team of some of our most talented engineers. The team builds software that is at the heart of the Fastly CDN; it orchestrates the delivery of our customers’ CDN configurations to our Points of Presence (POPs) across the globe.
You will find yourself managing team dependencies, building roadmaps, and thinking big. Being at the heart of the CDN, you will partner with engineering and product teams from all walks of life and disciplines, all the while cultivating an inclusive and cohesive team environment that enables your engineers to deliver the best software of their lives.
When you close your laptop at the end of the day, you will smile at the impact you had. Today, you were a part of keeping the internet up, reliable, and fast.
What You’ll Do
- Manage a distributed engineering team, working closely with your team members and engineering leaders
- Ensure each member of the team has what they need to be successful
- Mentor and provide regular feedback to engineers
- Partner with product, management and engineering management to prioritize and plan projects
- Work collaboratively across incredibly talented teams to build our best-in-breed CDN
- Work in close partnership with engineering leaders to build out and execute on everything from project design to engineering best practices
- Recruit and hire software engineers
- Clearly communicate upward and outward to set expectations for roadmaps and deliverables
- High level of organization with a proven ability to prioritize, manage, budget, and deliver on time
- Employ your excellent technical and non-technical presentation and communication skills to communicate roadmaps, project progress and design documentation.
What We're Looking For
- Proven success working with teams building distributed systems
- Experience nurturing and supporting a strong service ownership culture
- Familiarity with tools and open source technologies like Git, Jenkins, Chef, Prometheus, Graphite
- Candidates must be in a timezone proximate to the continental US
- Someone with the ability to periodically travel to off-site engineering gatherings. Team bonding is important to us and we love to discuss everything from roadmaps, culture and engineering management practice.
We have a huge impact. Fastly is a small company with a big reach. Our customers have a tremendous user base, and we support a growing number of open source projects and initiatives. Outside of code, employees are encouraged to share causes close to their hearts with others so we can help lend a supportive hand.
We love distributed teams. Fastly’s home base is in San Francisco, but we have multiple offices and employees sprinkled around the globe. In fact, 50% of our employees work outside of SF! An international remote culture is part of our DNA.
We care about you. Fastly works hard to create a positive environment for our employees, and we think your life outside of work is important too. We support our teams with great benefits, like generous parental leave, options for free medical/dental/vision plans, and an open vacation program that enables our folks to take the time they need to recharge (some benefits may vary by location).
We value diversity. Growing and maintaining our inclusive and diverse team matters to us. We are committed to being a company where our employees feel comfortable bringing their authentic selves to work and have the ability to be successful — every day.
We are passionate. Fastly is chock full of passionate people and we’re not “one size fits all”. Fastly employs authors, pilots, skiers, parents (of humans and animals), makeup geeks, coffee connoisseurs, and more. We love employees for who they are and what they’re passionate about.
Fastly provides equal employment opportunity without regard to an applicant’s race, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information, national origin, age, physical or mental disability, medical condition, religion, marital status or veteran status.
Applicants with disabilities may be entitled to reasonable accommodation under the terms of the Americans with Disabilities Act and certain state or local laws. A reasonable accommodation is a change in the way things are normally done which will ensure an equal employment opportunity without imposing undue hardship on Fastly. Please inform us if you need assistance completing any forms or to otherwise participate in the application process.