Mozilla is hiring a UI Designer for our Emerging Technologies team. Emerging Technologies is Mozilla’s early research and development organization focused on the areas of developer tools, knowledge and community, including MDN web docs; voice assistants & speech technologies; and mixed reality, as well as new explorations.
We're looking for a passionate, talented, and experienced UI designer to help match MDN’s outstanding content with equally outstanding design. As a designer for the MDN team you’ll craft functional and appealing interfaces from wireframe to prototypes and visual design.
In this role, you will work collaborative with researchers to understand user needs and behavior and then design solutions. You will also work closely with engineers and product managers to arrive at the best implementation and then support developers closely throughout the implementation process.
Day to day you will...
- Work with product managers, researchers, and engineers to understand developer needs and use their feedback to design intuitive, user-friendly experiences that meet their needs.
- Balance user needs with business objectives to ensure both sides are represented in design decision resulting in the best possible outcome for both.
- Translate concepts into user flows, wireframes, mockups and prototypes to create intuitive user experiences.
- Design low-fi concepts to get stakeholder alignment and solicit user feedback. Polish hi-fi prototypes to solidify user experience and communicate design intentions with developers.
- Collaborate with user research to test designs, analyze feedback and iterate.
- Design interfaces beginning at all stages includes; concept, wireframe, prototyping, and final execution.
Your professional profile...
- You have a degree, or equivalent experience, in design and/or human-computer interaction.
- Minimum 5 years experience in UI, interaction and/or visual design.
- Solid understanding of user-centered design methodologies, responsive web design principles, and mobile design.
- Proficiency with design tools such as Sketch, Adobe creative suite, InVision.
- Effective at communication using a range of UX artifacts such as personas, IA, user flows, wireframes, prototypes, and related documents.
- Demonstrate an ability to think strategically and work with various forms of input from critique, user testing and market feedback.
- You are flexible and efficient – comfortable with ambiguity and exercising a balance between inspiration, bias, and rigorous research in order to move quickly from planning to conducting a project, synthesizing insights, and informing opportunities.
- Knowledge of user research methodologies and when to apply them.
- Provide an online portfolio that exhibits detailed design thinking and problem-solving in regards to the overall user experience.
- Understanding of accessibility standards.
- Experience designing interactions for voice systems, augmented and/or virtual reality.
- Experience in an open source environment.
- Experience working on a remote and distributed team.
Mozilla exists to build the Internet as a public resource accessible to all because we believe that open and free is better than closed and controlled. When you work at Mozilla, you give yourself a chance to make a difference in the lives of Web users everywhere. And you give us a chance to make a difference in your life every single day. Join us to work on the Web as the platform and help create more opportunity and innovation for everyone online.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Apply for this Position