Fastly helps the world’s most popular digital businesses keep pace with their customer expectations by delivering fast, secure, and scalable online experiences. Businesses trust Fastly to accelerate the pace of technical innovation, mitigate evolving threats, and scale on demand. Founded in 2011, Fastly powers online destinations including Airbnb, GitHub, Alaska Airlines, Pinterest, Vimeo, The Guardian, and The New York Times.
The worldwide cloud services market is projected to grow rapidly to $236 billion in 2020, according to Forrester, Inc. As more and more businesses move operations to the cloud, Fastly is well positioned to continue increasing CDN, cloud networking and cloud security market share with edge cloud services that reach beyond content delivery.
We’re building a better Internet. Come join us.
Senior Software Engineer - Capacity Planning Tools
The Capacity Planning Tools Team creates the customized tools needed to efficiently build out Fastly’s Network and Datacenter Infrastructure. As we operate our own hardware in colocation facilities, there are many components to track, from hardware orders to go-live dates for the finished sites. Better insights into the operations of these projects contributes in a very direct way to Fastly’s financial health, and the ability of team members to make strategic decisions for our growth.
We are looking for a Software Engineer to join our Infrastructure Team to help us develop, improve, and maintain internal tools for building our data center infrastructure.
- Design, write, test, and deploy web-applications.
- Look for opportunities to reduce manual workloads for Infrastructure team members and develop your ideas into full-fledged features.
- Deploy improved workflows and UX components that reduce toil and enable people to enjoy their day to day tasks.
- Provide support and improvements to stakeholders after features are deployed.
- Provide an enhanced view of the operations of the infrastructure team as it affects the core financial success of Fastly as a company.
- Verify and track hardware purchases, depreciation schedules, and capex budgets
- Allow team members to create, reference, and revise hardware and network architecture designs
- Manage the life-cycle of Fastly’s data center locations and assist with the execution of multi-faceted deployment projects
- Enables insights into the global Internet, including interconnection, hardware performance, and network troubleshooting
What We're Looking For
- 5+ years working on heavily used web-application projects.
- Proficiency in SQL and experience working with large datasets.
- Experience gathering requirements for new features and modifications of existing systems, with a track record of taking ownership and driving components to completion.
- You needn’t have a formal CS education; suitable experience is just as relevant.
- Communication skills and empathy with end users are a must, as you will be collaborating directly on their day to day workflows.
We value a variety of voices, so this is not a laundry list. In addition to the above, candidates with domain expertise in the following, will be better able to assist in building out these systems:
- Hardware provisioning and/or logistics
- Data center operations
- Network infrastructure builds
We have a huge impact. Fastly is a small company with a big reach. Not only do our customers have a tremendous user base, but we also support a growing number of open source projects and initiatives. Outside of code, employees are encouraged to share causes close to their heart with others so we can help lend a supportive hand.
We love distributed teams. Fastly’s home-base is in San Francisco, but we have multiple offices and employees sprinkled around the globe. In fact, 50% of our employees work outside of SF! An international remote culture is in our DNA.
We care about you. Fastly works hard to create a positive environment for our employees, and we think your life outside of work is important too. We support our teams with great benefits like up to 20 weeks of paid parental leave, options for free medical/dental/vision plans, and an open vacation program that enables our folks to take the time they need to recharge (some benefits may vary by location).
We value diversity. Growing and maintaining our inclusive and diverse team matters to us. We are committed to being a company where our employees feel comfortable bringing their authentic selves to work and have the ability to be successful -- every day.
We are passionate. Fastly is chock full of passionate people and we’re not ‘one size fits all’. Fastly employs authors, pilots, skiers, parents (of humans and animals), makeup geeks, coffee connoisseurs, and more. We love employees for who they are and what they are passionate about.
We’re always looking for humble, sharp, and creative folks to join the Fastly team. If you think you might be a fit please apply!
Fastly is committed to ensuring equal employment opportunity and to providing employees with a safe and welcoming work environment free of discrimination and harassment.
Employment decisions at Fastly are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, national origin, family or parental status, disability*, age, veteran status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. Fastly encourages applicants from all backgrounds.
*Applicants with disabilities may be entitled to reasonable accommodation under the terms of the Americans with Disabilities Act and certain state or local laws. A reasonable accommodation is a change in the way things are normally done which will ensure an equal employment opportunity without imposing undue hardship on Fastly. Please inform us if you need assistance completing any forms or to otherwise participate in the application process.