Fastly helps the world’s most popular digital businesses keep pace with their customer expectations by delivering fast, secure, and scalable online experiences. Businesses trust Fastly to accelerate the pace of technical innovation, mitigate evolving threats, and scale on demand. Founded in 2011, Fastly powers online destinations including Airbnb, GitHub, Alaska Airlines, Pinterest, Vimeo, The Guardian, and The New York Times.
The worldwide cloud services market is projected to grow rapidly to $236 billion in 2020, according to Forrester, Inc. As more and more businesses move operations to the cloud, Fastly is well positioned to continue increasing CDN, cloud networking and cloud security market share with edge cloud services that reach beyond content delivery.
We’re building a better Internet. Come join us.
Senior Director, Site Reliability Engineer (SRE)
We are looking for a talented leader to help our Site Reliability Engineers (SREs) design the next generation of Fastly’s production service platform and drive the reliability, speed, efficiency, and security of our backend systems. As a leader in the group, you will hire, retain and mentor engineering leaders and engineers to take on the challenges of building and supporting a better, more flexible and reliable edge cloud platform. This role reports directly to the VP of Platform Engineering, and leads SRE teams responsible for the edge cloud, control plane and observability systems at Fastly.
What You'll Do
- Develop teams capable of advancing Fastly’s infrastructure, tooling and processes around CI/CD, deployment automation and observability in a large-scale UNIX environment.
- Partner with all engineering functions in the company to drive alignment in standards for infrastructure and deployment automation.
- Iterate on improvements to engineering best practices in a collaborative environment.
- Work with engineering leadership to prioritize platform initiatives and act as an advocate and evangelist for reliability engineering as a discipline.
- Collaborate with peer engineering leaders to deliver on key business priorities.
- Lead and retain a team of high performers to ensure their success and retention in a rapidly growing organization.
What We're Looking For
- Significant experience in applying software development to automate the operations function in mission critical environments, with several years in a senior level management role.
- Extensive experience leading distributed teams and supporting directors and line level managers.
- Ability to guide, nurture and support a strong engineering culture.
- Exceptional technical and non-technical presentation and communication skills.
- High level of organization with a proven ability to prioritize, manage, budget, and deliver on time.
- Strong hands on experience leveraging continuous delivery and agile principles to increase engineering velocity.
- Strong understanding of reliability engineering principles and applied techniques.
- Strong understanding of how the internet works, particularly at a global level.
- Experience using cloud infrastructure such as Amazon Web Services (AWS) and Google Cloud Platform (GCP).
- High emotional intelligence. Fastly teams care about one another, collaborate regularly and are part of a people first organization.
We have a huge impact. Fastly is a small company with a big reach. Not only do our customers have a tremendous user base, but we also support a growing number of open source projects and initiatives. Outside of code, employees are encouraged to share causes close to their heart with others so we can help lend a supportive hand.
We love distributed teams. Fastly’s home-base is in San Francisco, but we have multiple offices and employees sprinkled around the globe. In fact, 50% of our employees work outside of SF! An international remote culture is in our DNA.
We care about you. Fastly works hard to create a positive environment for our employees, and we think your life outside of work is important too. We support our teams with great benefits like up to 20 weeks of paid parental leave, options for free medical/dental/vision plans, and an open vacation program that enables our folks to take the time they need to recharge (some benefits may vary by location).
We value diversity. Growing and maintaining our inclusive and diverse team matters to us. We are committed to being a company where our employees feel comfortable bringing their authentic selves to work and have the ability to be successful -- every day.
We are passionate. Fastly is chock full of passionate people and we’re not ‘one size fits all’. Fastly employs authors, pilots, skiers, parents (of humans and animals), makeup geeks, coffee connoisseurs, and more. We love employees for who they are and what they are passionate about.
We’re always looking for humble, sharp, and creative folks to join the Fastly team. If you think you might be a fit please apply!
Fastly is committed to ensuring equal employment opportunity and to providing employees with a safe and welcoming work environment free of discrimination and harassment.
Employment decisions at Fastly are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, national origin, family or parental status, disability*, age, veteran status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. Fastly encourages applicants from all backgrounds.
*Applicants with disabilities may be entitled to reasonable accommodation under the terms of the Americans with Disabilities Act and certain state or local laws. A reasonable accommodation is a change in the way things are normally done which will ensure an equal employment opportunity without imposing undue hardship on Fastly. Please inform us if you need assistance completing any forms or to otherwise participate in the application process.