Fastly helps the world’s most popular digital businesses keep pace with their customer expectations by delivering fast, secure, and scalable online experiences. Businesses trust Fastly to accelerate the pace of technical innovation, mitigate evolving threats, and scale on demand. Founded in 2011, Fastly powers online destinations including Airbnb, GitHub, Alaska Airlines, Pinterest, Vimeo, The Guardian, and The New York Times.
The worldwide cloud services market is projected to grow rapidly to $236 billion in 2020, according to Forrester, Inc. As more and more businesses move operations to the cloud, Fastly is well positioned to continue increasing CDN, cloud networking and cloud security market share with edge cloud services that reach beyond content delivery.
We’re building a better Internet. Come join us.
SENIOR SECURITY OPERATIONS ENGINEER
As a Senior Security Operations Engineer at Fastly you will help ensure we provide a secure edge for one of the biggest online platforms in the world, handling massive amounts of traffic at very low latency. We value versatile engineers at all levels of seniority who enjoy being deeply involved in all aspects of building and securing our platform.
We are looking for Senior Security Operations Engineers with an interest in integrating and designing new and existing security controls on the Fastly platform. You will join Team Security and help evolve the security monitoring and response capabilities that keep our services secure.
This is a role which has high impact on human lives. You will be supported by a friendly security team, where you can learn and develop. We check our egos at the door. You’ll make sure our customers benefit from a service built to the highest security standards in the industry. We pride ourselves in our involvement in the larger security community and encourage our team to present at network and security conferences and participate in the open source community. We are a distributed security team with the commitment and tools in place to make it work.
What You’ll Do
- Design and implement security process and technical controls to enhance Fastly's ability to detect, analyze and prevent malicious activity
- Research new threats, attack vectors that impact Fastly infrastructure and assist in detecting and remediation efforts
- Act as a key partner in Fastly’s detection and prevention efforts by collaborating with internal teams to facilitate identification, handling and resolution of security incidents
- Involvement in Fasty’s Software Development Lifecycle (SDLC), focusing on both collaborative hands-on engineering work and training initiatives across the company
- Participate in SIRT process as and when required
- Proactively looks for ways to improve the overall security posture of various assets at Fastly
- Participate in our on-call rotations and blameless retrospectives and proactively contribute to evolving them
What We’re Looking For
At Fastly we value a diversity of voices. The following is not a laundry list, but to be effective in this role you should possess some of the following and an interest in learning more about the rest:
- Deep knowledge of enterprise network and host security controls and detection techniques and technologies like OSQuery, OSSEC, Capsule8, etc.
- Develop innovative analysis tools to evaluate relevant intelligence data, consume and apply them to correlation logic and create actionable items for various teams
- Familiarity with SDLC processes, including GitHub pull requests, code reviews, Jenkins CI/CD pipelines, configuration management
- Deep understanding of at least one major public cloud infrastructures; Amazon Web Services (AWS), Google Cloud Platform (GCP) or Microsoft Azure
- Experience in building security monitoring infrastructure or threat hunting tooling
- Experience in incident detection, response and forensics across multiple operating systems
- Experience with multiple general purpose programming languages such as Bash, Ruby and Go
- Deep understanding of Linux operating system
We have a huge impact. Fastly is a small company with a big reach. Our customers have a tremendous user base, and we support a growing number of open source projects and initiatives. Outside of code, employees are encouraged to share causes close to their hearts with others so we can help lend a supportive hand.
We love distributed teams. Fastly’s home base is in San Francisco, but we have multiple offices and employees sprinkled around the globe. In fact, 50% of our employees work outside of SF! An international remote culture is part of our DNA.
We care about you. Fastly works hard to create a positive environment for our employees, and we think your life outside of work is important too. We support our teams with great benefits, like generous parental leave, options for free medical/dental/vision plans, and an open vacation program that enables our folks to take the time they need to recharge (some benefits may vary by location).
We value diversity. Growing and maintaining our inclusive and diverse team matters to us. We are committed to being a company where our employees feel comfortable bringing their authentic selves to work and have the ability to be successful — every day.
We are passionate. Fastly is chock full of passionate people and we’re not “one size fits all”. Fastly employs authors, pilots, skiers, parents (of humans and animals), makeup geeks, coffee connoisseurs, and more. We love employees for who they are and what they’re passionate about.
Fastly provides equal employment opportunity without regard to an applicant’s race, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information, national origin, age, physical or mental disability, medical condition, religion, marital status or veteran status.
Applicants with disabilities may be entitled to reasonable accommodation under the terms of the Americans with Disabilities Act and certain state or local laws. A reasonable accommodation is a change in the way things are normally done which will ensure an equal employment opportunity without imposing undue hardship on Fastly. Please inform us if you need assistance completing any forms or to otherwise participate in the application process.