This position is remote based.
We're looking for product managers that can help us with the product growth of GitLab.
Specifically, the Growth department at GitLab is responsible for:
We believe development teams deserve an intuitive, single application that covers the entire DevOps lifecycle and that navigating through the DevOps lifecycle should be a seamless experience. We believe in pushing the boundaries of best-practices, and bringing these to every GitLab user, so that doing the right thing is also the easy, default way of working. As part of the growth team, it will be your job to streamline the existing value of the application and ensure customers are deeply connected to this value.
We know there are a million things we can tweak to improve the growth metrics about GitLab. It will be your job to figure out which of these to prioritize and implement successfully.
We work in quite a unique way at GitLab, where lots of flexibility and independence is mixed with a high paced, pragmatic way of working. And everything we do is in the open.
We recommend looking at our company page and the product handbook to get started.
Drive the product in the right direction
- Build an effective growth roadmap to prioritize features and user experiences that will positively impact usage of the product
- Develop hypotheses based on growth metrics and break them into small iterations that engineering can work on
- Consider the business impact, ROI, and other implications when taking important decisions
- Track and measure the proper metrics based on the four stages above, reporting on them and ensuring they being driven in the right direction
Take an active role in defining the future
- Contribute to the product vision, together with the Head of Product and VP of Product
- Create and maintain a vision for your product area
- Create and maintain the vision for each product category
- Innovate within your product area by proposing ambitious features
- Follow innovation in your product area, specifically with respect to A/B testing and data analysis techniques
- Communicate and evangelize your product vision internally and among the wider community
- Represent GitLab as a product and domain expert in front of Industry Analysts, customer visits, industry events/conferences, and other events.
Manage the product lifecycle end-to-end
- Follow feature development end-to-end; provide guidance and feedback to engineers and designers; ensure everyone is aligned
- Rapidly execute controlled growth experiments by working with engineering to increase product usage
- Contribute to documentation, blog posts, demos, and marketing materials for product features
- Collaborate with other Product Managers, UX, and engineers in cross-area features to build a single application
- Manage the uncertainty in an efficient way, adjusting plans to new working conditions
Engage with stakeholders in two-way communication
- Assist Sales, Support, Customer Success, and Marketing as the subject-matter expert for your area
Talk to customers and engage with the community regularly, specifically if there are issues around the user journey from sign up to conversion.
- Engage with analysts on briefings and product evaluations
- Work with the entire Product team to share improvements and best practices
- Have a strong presence in customer advisory boards and other customer feedback forums to fully understand customer pain points and how these can be solved in the future
- Ability to present to C-level executives both internally at GitLab and externally to customers and prospects
You are not (solely) responsible for:
A team of engineers: you will take the lead in decisions about the product, but not manage the people implementing it
Capacity planning: you will define priorities, but the Engineering Manager evaluates the amount of work possible
Shipping in time: you will work in a group, but the group is responsible for shipping in time, not you
- 5+ years product management and data analysis experience
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Ability to think like a CEO to drive success of your product area
- Fantastic problem solving skills and attention to detail
- Strong understanding of Git and Git workflows
- Knowledge of the developer tool space
- Strong technically: you understand how software is built, packaged, and deployed
- Passion for design and usability
- Highly independent and pragmatic
- Excellent proficiency in English
- You are living wherever you want
- You share our values, and work in accordance with those values
- Strong understanding of DevOps and cloud-native application development
- Understanding of A/B testing and platforms for doing this testing such as Optimizely
- Understanding of data analysis and statistics
- Understanding of data analysis platforms and applications such as Snowplow, Jupyter Notebooks and Looker
- Bonus points: understanding of Meltano
- Bonus points: experience with GitLab
- Bonus points: experience in working with open source projects
- Selected candidates will be invited to schedule a screening call with our Global Recruiters
- Next, candidates will be invited to schedule a first interview with a Product Manager
- Candidates will then be invited to schedule an interview with our Director of Product
- Candidates will then be invited to schedule an interview with the an Engineering Manager
- Candidates will be invited to schedule an interview with our Head of Product
- Candidates may be asked to schedule a deep dive interview
- Candidates may be asked to meet with additional team members at the manager's discretion
- Finally, candidates may interview with our CEO
The compensation calculator for this role can be found here.