This position is remote, based in the Washington D.C. metro area.
Professional Service Engineers provide professional services on-site or remote deployment of GitLab technology and solutions as well as training. The Professional Service Engineer will act as the technical representative leading the direct interaction with the customer’s personnel and project teams by rolling out best practices. This role helps the customer to faster benefit from the GitLab solution and realize business value. Meanwhile, Professional Service Engineers also need to provide feedback to product management and engineering team on the actual field experience through customer engagements and implementations.
- Deep knowledge of software development lifecycle and development pipeline
- TS/SCI w/ full scope polygraph
- Understanding of continuous integration, continuous deployment, ChatOps, and cloud native
- Above average knowledge of Unix and Unix based Operating Systems
- Installation and operation of Linux operating systems and hardware investigation/manipulation commands
- BASH/Shell scripting including systems and init.d startup scripts
- Package management (RPM, etc. to add/remove/update packages)
- Understanding of system log files/logging infrastructure
- B.Sc. in Computer Science or equivalent experience
- Programming/scripting experience & skill is required (Bash & Ruby)
- Project management experience & skills
- SCM admin and/or PS experience would be a plus
- Set up HA/DR, working with Containers and Schedulers (Kubernetes preferred) and also experience with AWS stack (EC2, ECS, RDS, ElastiCache)
- Experience with Ruby on Rails applications and Git
- Presentation skills with a high degree of comfort speaking with executives, IT Management, and developers
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- High level of comfort communicating effectively across customer teams, groups or divisions
- Ideal candidates will preferably have 7 plus years IT industry or IT technical sales related experience
- Experience with modern development practices strongly preferred (Kubernetes, Docker, Linux, DevOps Pipelines (CI/CD), Application Security, Cloud providers)
- Experience with several of the following tools strongly preferred:
- Ruby on Rails, Java, .Net, Python
- Git, Bitbucket, GitHub, SVN
- Jira, VersionOne, TFS
- Jenkins, CircleCI
- Veracode, Checkmarx, Black Duck
- Artifactory, Nexus
- New Relic, Nagios
- mono-repo and distributed-repo approaches
- BASH / Shell scripting
- Mastery with and proven knowledge with major cloud technologies and public cloud providers
- Mastery with multiple highly available architectures and concepts. Kubernetes operational and deployment experience.
- Exert influence on the overall objectives and long-range goals of your team.
- Provide mentorship for Junior and Intermediate Professional Service Engineers to help them grow in their technical responsibilities and remove blockers to their autonomy.
- Embed on site with a customer for a period of 3, 6, or 12 months at a time
- Act as a GitLab evangelist onsite with customer's teams
- Identify pain points and issues with planning, development, test, compliance, security, build and orchestration processes.
- Assist GitLab customer support team to diagnose and troubleshoot support cases when necessary
- Help review processes and identify areas for improvement including the use of automation
To view the full job description and its compensation calculator, view our handbook. The compensation calculator can be found towards the bottom of the page.
Additional details about our process can be found on our hiring page.
Apply for this Position