GitHub is seeking a SEO Manager to join it’s Integrated Demand Generation team. You will collaborate with an integrated Marketing team to optimize new and existing web experiences. Working with leaders in PMM and Product, and throughout Marketing you will help us collect the most valuable information to drive your SEO strategy. You will work in partnership with the Content and Web Strategy teams to drive rankings and search equity across our properties, with the goal of winning the hearts and minds of our customers through relevant, effective, authentic content.
You are results-driven and passionate about developing experiences that have meaningful value for developers. You are a self-starter with strong experience optimizing websites for search engine results, testing and putting learning into action. You take a thoughtful, creative, academic approach to SEO, and are as skilled at data analysis as you are at communication and working with teams. You know how to work across complex organizations in a fast-paced, high growth environment to assure your strategy delivers outcomes.
- Build the foundation of an SEO strategy alongside the content, web and demand teams.
- Help the company define clear, measurable, SEO goals and KPIs, communicated broadly throughout GitHub
- Develop action plans for achieving and measuring search campaign success, including determining key metrics, processes for measurement and optimization
- Align to existing working teams inside of Marketing and join standups and sprints as a trusted consultant on SEO factors in the interest of their initiatives
- Collaborate with designers, content creators, strategists, engineers, video editors and agency teams to iterate and develop compelling, search optimized content
- Implement SEO tactics via HTML and other languages, on your own or by working through development teams
- Hands-on execution of meta tags, page linking, and other SEO tactics
- Keyword Research - Develop and expand keyword inventory to provide direction and insight into content development. Develop strategies to broaden keyword relevance and search term matches.
- Manage a target keyword inventory mapped to our essential content and monitor rankings and performance against these keywords
- Analyze keywords and search strategy for major competitors
- Use the knowledge gleaned from keyword research alongside expertise from our Product Marketing teams to prioritize content creation that is both relevant to audiences and lucrative from a search traffic perspective.
- Communicate specific SEO requirements - creative and engineering - to business/product stakeholders
- Ensure our content is found across all appropriate properties and assets in the GitHub suite of websites: Websites and subdomains, Docs site, Community, YouTube channel, and other earned and owned media
- Maintain an appropriate link building strategy
- Research, identify and establish position statements related to both onsite and third party link strategies and partnerships for link building
- Perform SEO audits on our existing website properties and deliver actionable roadmaps for their technical improvement
- Deliver a monthly report of SEO performance,and provide executive data as needed
- Research current trends and Search Engine algorithm changes and attend relevant conferences to gather insights from search engine representatives and professionals.
- Participate in alignment meetings with other areas of the business to champion the voice of our customer as it pertains to inbound and web activities.
- 8 years working as an SEO or related type of consultant, specialist, or manager, in-house or agency side
- Advanced knowledge of SEO and inbound marketing, as well as relevant toolsets
- Advanced knowledge of Excel and other data solutions; ability to manipulate data sets in Excel quickly outside of analytics platforms, without manager guidance or training (pivot, macros, formulas, etc)
- Proven track record of implementing successful SEO strategies
- Strong communication skills; ability to present in one-to-one, or one-to-many scenarios
- Strong quantitative skills; ability to build basic mathematical models
- Strong knowledge of analytics tools such as Google Analytics
- Strong knowledge of GitHub us a plus
- Coding and open source development experience preferred
- Comfort working with Engineering teams and understanding their processes
- Understanding of Agile marketing or Agile development best practices preferred, desire to be a part of a daily scrum, and potentially many agile workstreams.
- Strong interpersonal communication skills - ability to relate well to colleagues and teams.
- Ability to adapt communication style to multiple personality types and work with all levels of employees.
- Experience researching technical and developer-oriented keyword sets and communities a plus
- Bachelor's degree or relevant work experience required
Who We Are:
GitHub is the developer company. Over 40 million people use GitHub to build amazing things together across 100 million repositories. We make it easier for developers to be developers: to work together, to solve challenging problems, to create the world’s most important technologies. We foster a collaborative community that can come together—as individuals and in teams—to create the future of software and make a difference in the world.
- Customer Obsessed
- Trust by Default
- Ship to Learn
- Own the Outcome
- Growth Mindset
- Global Product, Global Team
- Anything is Possible
- Practice Kindness
Why You Should Join:
At GitHub, we constantly strive to create an environment that allows our employees (Hubbers) to do the best work of their lives. We've designed one of the coolest workspaces in San Francisco (HQ), where over half of our Hubbers work, snack, and create daily. The other half of our Hubbers work remotely in 18 countries across the globe.
We are also committed to keeping Hubbers healthy, motivated, focused and creative. We've designed our top-notch benefits program with these goals in mind. In a nutshell, we've built a place where we truly love working, we think you will too.
GitHub is made up of people from a wide variety of backgrounds and lifestyles. We embrace diversity and invite applications from people of all walks of life. We don't discriminate against employees or applicants based on gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, race, religion, age, national origin, citizenship, disability, pregnancy status, veteran status, or any other differences. Also, if you have a disability, please let us know if there's any way we can make the interview process better for you; we're happy to accommodate!
Please note that benefits vary by country, if you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask your Talent Partner.